Any-1 had problems w/ adult roos trying to kill baby roos? NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjeanean, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I have about seven 5 week old roos that I want to put out with my other chickens. I have 4 roos in my flock right now, 2 are 18 weeks, and 2 are only 10. I don't want to keep the 7 new roos out there permanently, just until their coop is vacated by the meat chickens currently using it (which will be in about 3 weeks). Can I do this?? Do I need to worry about the older roos killing the baby roos??? I intro'd 14 new 5 week old hens the other day, and everything's fine, no major pecking, and the older chickens are letting the baby hens eat and drink and everything. I just don't want my baby roos getting attacked and killed because of their gender. Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    does anyone know??? I'm trying to get all my chicks out of the house before the 4th, and I'd like to put them out tonight!!!

3. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've read a lot of varied replies on this topic, so it seems there really isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' answer for this. I don't claim to be a chicken expert (though I'm logging enough hours on this board to learn just enough to be dangerous), but I can tell you what I've done/experienced.

I did things a little different, not because I felt like doing things my own way, I really tried to read all I could and do things the 'right' way, but I wasn't able to buy all of my chicks at once, only had room for one brooder, and the chicks were clamoring to get out of the brooder, escaping and throwing poop and shavings EVERYWHERE!!!

So, I started 'experimenting' while watching my chicks for any sign of discomfort and waiting for some more experienced chicken keepers to come up and smack me for my temerity.

Sort of by necessity my flock is a crazy mixture of ages and sizes and I have had no issues (well I have lots of 'issues,' but I haven't lost any chicks over the mixed ages thing). [​IMG]

Basically, what happened was that I bought two chicks at the feed store, then went back a week later when they got their next shipment and got a few more, and the week after that, and so on.

Every time I got some more chicks I added them in and watched to make sure everyone got along. Now I have most of my chicks out in the coop (ages 3 wks to 12 wks) and everybody gets along fine. Inside I have some 1 wks olds in a brooder that I just received from MPC and wanted to keep under a heat lamp for a while til they grew some feathers.

Yep, I not only broke the rule about mixing ages, but I didn't keep them under the heat lamp for 5 or 6 wks either.

The first group was in the brooder for quite a while, but it became overwhelming when they got bigger and made such a mess indoors so I cautiously put them out in the coop and watched to see if they seemed cold. It's 99+ daytime, 75 nighttime, and they all cuddle at night so everyone did just fine. I even added some 1 - 2 wk old RIRs into the coop because they were feisty and kept some BOs of the same age in the house in the brooder and the RIRs have grown 3 times the feathers that the BOs have!

I would recommend, though, that if you change anything, add chicks, whatever, that you do it when you have plenty of time to observe and make sure they are going to be okay.

The only time I ever had an issue was when I added a tiny little modern game chick named Boo-boo, and the bigger chicks apparently thought her toes were mealworms. One of the andalusians snatched her up by her toe and ran around peeping while the others chased them around! Boo-boo just hung there upside down screaming her head off! :eek:

Luckily I was there and waiting to see if the little guy could fend for himself so I was able to put a stop to it and move him back to the brooder with some younger, ahem, non-hooligan chicks. Boo-boo was non-the-worse for wear, but I'm going to hold back on adding her to the flock until she's big enough not to be mistaken for a chicken-treat! [​IMG]

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm not worried about the age difference, I'm worried about the roos. I don't know if there will be a problem adding my 5 week old roos, even though it will only be for about a month, to a flock with 4 other roosters.

5. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Ahh, well, hopefully one of the more experienced flock keepers will come along and help answer that. If it were me, I'd go ahead and add them and see what happens but be ready to separate if there is a problem.

Maybe you could use some scrap fencing to create a separate area for them in the run and coop as a temporary solution if they can't get along?

Good luck!

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That's a lot of roos! How many hens do you have? Seems like a lot to try to keep peacefully from what I read. Good luck tho! I can't give you any tips as I only have baby roos yet and all but one are going to new homes.

One of the andalusians snatched her up by her toe and ran around peeping while the others chased them around! Boo-boo just hung there upside down screaming her head off! yikes

OH MY poor thing! I have a vision of that! OHHHH [​IMG]

7. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Quote:OH MY poor thing! I have a vision of that! OHHHH [​IMG]

Yeah, it was pretty upsetting, though once I was able to make sure she was unharmed I had to chuckle a little at the naughty andalusion! [​IMG]

The baby MGB was just so tiny, she was easy to pick on...even when I put her back in the brooder with some day old BO chicks that were really easy-going, one of them pushed her down and put a foot on her tummy to hold her down while tugging on her leg! Those toes must just look delicious! [​IMG]

Thankfully I was able to referee for a couple of days until the MGB was a little bigger and could hold her own with the BOs. It's gonna be a while before I trust her around the bigger, feisty chicks like the 5 wk old andalusians, though!

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a separate coop for the roos, but right now I have my meat chickens in it. Once I butcher the meat chickens I'll be putting the roos in their own coop. That will be in about a month. Until then, I'd like to put the roos, which are 5 weeks, in with my whole flock. I have 44 chickens out there, 4 are roos, 14 are 5 wk old hens, and 26 are various aged hens. So 44 total, with 4 roos. I just don't want the bigger roos to kill the younger ones. I don't know if that's something I need to worry about, since the younger roos aren't in sexual maturity yet, but I want to find out before I put them all out together. Thanks!!!

9. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    can anyone else give me any advice???

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Well, now it's a new day, and my 14 little hens are doing fine in the big coop. I'm still just really scared about putting the little roos in there, I don't know when/how roo dominance kicks in and whether it would lead to the little roos getting killed!!! I know someone here knows the answer, this place is the ultimate interactive chicken encyclopedia!!! Thanks, everyone!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by