Any advice for a first time chicken mommy? :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AJ666, Jun 16, 2010.

1. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    On Friday I will be getting 5 day old chicks! One EE roo, 2 EE hens, 1 Buff Orphington hen, one Domonique hen. I forgot to order a silver laced wyandotte, but she will hopefully be coming in next week [​IMG] whoops.
    But I am verry excited, and nervous. So who wants to give a first time chicken owner some advice?? [​IMG] I would be eternally grateful [​IMG]

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I know you will enjoy your fuzzy butts. Watch their temperature, dip their beaks in sugar water when they get here.

micah

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Just love them lots...you're going to have so much fun with them...show us pics when you get 'um...

4. cdluvschicks

cdluvschicks Out Of The Brooder

Awwww. Give them lots of kisses... [​IMG]

5. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    My advice... BEWARE! Chickens are very very addictive and build your coop 10 times bigger than you think you should. Good luck!

6. kona silkies

kona silkies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Kailua Kona Hawaii
    Why sugar water? I just dipped mine in water- oops... please elaborate...

7. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

AJ666 Cacle Hatchery has an awesome sheet for first-time parents of chicks.
    You can check it out here: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page14.html
    Enjoy
    your little treasures, and prepare to fall instantly in love!

Brightest Blessings

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I used plain water too and it was fine. Some people give sugar water for energy. Electorlytes come from a little salt though. Some people add a little apple cidar vinagar (ACV) is the abbreviation (Like Rachel Rays EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil) Keeping the temp correct is important. Making sure they can get under the heat when cold is good and out of the heat when too hot is also good. I taped a wooden 2X2 to the mirror and clipped the heat lamp onto that so I could raise and lower it to provide the right temp and it worked really well.

[​IMG][/img]

I also learned to use sand instead of pine shavings - it is heavier but I really liked it more. You will find your own preferences and it will be fine too. (no cedar)

Use crumbles and you don't need grit

Clean water, clean food - (Oh they will poop in it!) Clean brooder (for the smell control alone is good thing) The right temp for each week. And lots of love will get you through these first weeks of chicken ownership. Take a lot of pics because they grow right before your eyes and in a week you will not believe they could have doubled in size.

Enjoy
    Caroline

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Try to relax and enjoy them! I was so nervous with mine. They're actually quite hardy little guys.

10. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    Rachel'sFlock :

AJ666 Cacle Hatchery has an awesome sheet for first-time parents of chicks.
    You can check it out here: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page14.html
    Enjoy
    your little treasures, and prepare to fall instantly in love!

Brightest Blessings

Where abouts is Otis? I am also from Oregon and have never heard of it:) Just curious!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by