ANY ADVICE FOR AGGRESSIVE ROO--PLEASE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmchickens, Oct 31, 2008.

1. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    WE GOT THE ROO, FREE TO GOOD HOME. HOWEVER THE FIRST OWNER SAID THE ROO DID NOT LIKE HER, OK I THOUGHT MAYBE IT'S JUST ONE PERSON HE DOES NOT LIKE. THIS IS A BLACK GIANT ROO ABOUT 7 MONTHS OLD. WE HAVE HIM SEPERATED FROM ALL THE OTHER FLOCK IN HIS OWN PEN, THERE'S ANOTHER ROO IN WITH THE GIRLS THAT WOULD KILL HIM. WHEN WE COME NEAR OR OUR KIDS HE STARTS WANTING TO JUMP AND FLOG. SOMETIMES HE DOES OTHER TIMES HE'S CALM. I NEED SOME ADVICE BEFORE I GIVE HIM UP.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do an author search in the search function here on BYC. Look for rooster-red's homepage. You can read my page as well. The link to it is in my signature.
    If you have small children or a frail person in your household I wouldn't attempt reform. I would cull the roo.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Yep, I'd eat him too.

Plenty of roosters out there, to many to be dealing with an aggressive one waiting for him to attack a child.

The last aggressive one we had spurred my wife across the face barely missing her eye. She only turned her back on him for a second to pick up a hen and he jumped up at her.

4. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Eat him............
    Crock pot dumplings work every time for a big old rooster.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

open his pen door,,, close it,, CHASE HIM DOWN,,grab ahold of him and hold him, if he fights, hang him upside down by his legs, and walk around for a few minutes with him,, then throw him ( not hurting him TOO bad) in either his coop, or in the corner.
    walk out.
    go back an hour later,, do the SAME thing again.
    then go in and do it again.
    now,, have someone walk up to his fence,, if he tries anything, go in there and do it again. repeat 4 or 5 times during the day.

bet the next day he is WAY better.
    and its only 3 days of work,, just to prove if he can be reformed before culled
    UNLESS you really like fresh chicken [​IMG]

6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I just finished canning 10 quarts of mean roo this morning. Happy eating!

7. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Quote:Fresh chicken is good.................[​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:Fresh chicken is good.................[​IMG]

i know [​IMG] , but a good roo that would pay for himself for years, instead of jus 1 meal,,,,,, priceless [​IMG]

9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    [​IMG]

10. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have a nice scar through my upper lip right now from a roo I tried to 'reform'. He caught me off guard when I thought I was watching him closely.

He will be "reformed" this weekend--into a pot of dumplings.
    I have no intention of having a family member's eye scratched out--or mine either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by