Any advice for broody hen?

sophiesmith1010

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Ohio
Hi! I have a broody silky chicken. She is about 1 year old. We don't have a rooster. Is this normal? Should I let her do this? Any advice for me would help. Thanks in advance.

A hen would go broody even if she had never seen a rooster in her life.. it's a hormonal change which tell her that's it's time to hatch some eggs.. if you want some chicks put some fertile eggs under her or if you don't then you better break her broodiness... there are several thread here on BYC that shows how to break a broody...

Last edited:
Hello yes it is very normal as you don't need a rooster for hens to lay eggs. And it's the same thing you do not need a rooster for a hen to go broody either it's just the hens hormones . But you will need to get some fertilized eggs from someone who has hens and a rooster to be able to let her hatch chicks. And silkies are a very good broody's and very good mothers.
Good Luck with your hen
Ella

Last edited:
Hey there Sophie...

I'm in the same 'nest box' as you lolol (see what I did there?)

Anywayyyy, I have broody Auracana now and I have ordered some wonderful marans fertilized eggs for her to set on...

I have read up and tried sooooo many things from dunking her butt in cool water, to the "golf ball" in the nest trick and even adding ice cubes to get her out of the boxes and nothing. She is getting worse and moodier.

I of course had Roos for many years and NOT A SINGLE BROODY HEN OR CHICK and don't ah know when I am finally without Roos (swapped me all for hens) I NOW have a broody hen...

I want to add the infamous chocolate eggs to my repertoire. So I thought I would "kill two birds with one stone "so to speak LOL and order some marans eggs from my broody head to hatch for me for since this seems to be the best way to cure bloodiness and ensure that she will remain broody repeatedly without a roo.

Plus I can yearly add some different show quality breeds to my flock by using reputable eggs sellers/hatcheries...

From what I've read, going the chicken "surrogate" route lolol seems to be the best win win situation for my "Broody Betty" and Farmer Debbie lolol

Deb Q
:D

(Disclaimer: I am an amateur urban chicken farmer for 3 years now with most of my knowledge from the great 'peeps' here on BackYard Chickens and my sister the licensed Veterinary Technician.):cd

Back
Top Bottom