1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any advice for keeping Marek's from spreading?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haleyd, Jan 8, 2013.

1. haleyd

haleyd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Ok, I'm pretty sure that we have two cases of Marek's disease in our pen of 8 week bantams. And they were vaccinated! Anyhow, I am very concerned about our flock of laying hens that I'm pretty sure have not been vaccinated. The bantams have not been housed with the hens, but they have been close by. Besides the obvious percautions like taking care of the bantams last, washing hands, sterilizing buckets and equipment, etc, is there anything else we can do to avoid an epidemic? Anything we can give the hens to boost their immune systems? Thanks for any help!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Where do you think these 2 chicks got Marek's? Who vaccinated them?
    Once it's on your property, it would be really hard for someone to keep those 2 groups separate, because it spreads thru chicken dander/dust.

3. haleyd

Jan 2, 2013
    They were vaccinated by the hatchery,(Murray Mcmurray) and I assume that is also where they contracted Marek's. We've raised chickens for about ten years, and have never had any problems with disease at all. We live way out in the country, and the nearest flock of chickens besides ours is half a mile away. And nobody that raises chickens has been near our flock for months. It's driving me nuts to think they have Marek's even after we paid for them to be vaccinated! Now our entire flock of 50 some chickens is exposed.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Mareks and other diseases are spread by "wild" birds too you know! You or your chickens never need to ever be within miles of other chickens to contract many diseases.

Also,while not impossible, it's highly unlikely that any of the well known hatcheries would ship diseased chicks.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

6. haleyd

Jan 2, 2013
    Good point.

7. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    (From Fowl Facts - Mareks link above)
    "There are certain 'B factors' contained in the blood of some chickens that make them resistant to Mareks. If you have access to a lab for 'B type' blood testing, 'B factor' birds are desirable for breeding for a 'Mareks-free' flock." <<<<< I'm going to check into this!!!!

My understanding of the Marek's vaccination is that it prevents exposed birds from developing Marek's symptoms, not from contracting the disease. A vaccinated chicken can be a carrier/vector of Marek's without ever showing any sign of disease. Hopefully you've developed/bred resistance in your original flock over time.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    CottonGinWaste, I've heard of the research done with particular blood factors found in B-type blood. I can't imagine how expensive that would be to have done.

You're right about the vaccine. It prevents the symptoms causing death, but not the disease, or being a carrier. And any carrier may not show any signs.

My own chickens hatched my own eggs, and did have that resistance. My oldest silkie roo is 5 and still fine, and was in the flock with "Typhoid Mary". She died, but I have her daughter who is well, and almost 2 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by