Any advice for me?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barnyard70, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Barnyard70

Barnyard70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Errington, BC
    Situation is that my neighbor of 7 years has up and decided that free ranging his peafowl was a great idea, I am here to tell you, it surely is NOT. (likely let them out because he built the aviary too damn small). Anyhow, about a month ago, I finally got the nerve up to inform them about the damage the birds had done in my yard. I couldn't keep them out of my yard, planters nor out of landscaped areas. They said they would "brainstorm" it and get back to me. That was August 22. Since then, not one word. On a few occasions, someone is in their yard watching me chase out their birds and doing absolutely zip about it. I seem to be feeding not only their brood but also another roaming group of peafowl that has found them and joined up. To top this all off, one of my free ranging ducks got ill (do not know what from or whom, it came from)..she died a week after that. My yard is fenced and also has mesh wire too. My ducks (who can fly) all have their wings clipped and therefor, stay in my yard. In my mind, it is a no-no to allow other birds to mingle and hang with my birds ie. because of and for health reasons. I phoned them back today to update the damage report (feed and sick duck) and ask about their "plan". I am literally at wits end. Trying to be a reasonable neighbor, one who listens and considers others, one who has definitely refrained from shooting every single bird including the roamers..some days, I have chased them out with brooms, lately have been hosing them with water. Some days are worse than others, chasing them out 3 times before it is even 8 am..other days it is all. day. long. Surely I could be doing better things with my time and lower blood pressure..

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Animals at large include fowl..... they have a responsibility to contain and control. You spoke to them to no avail. I would contact animal control for your location and request a "knock and talk " visit wherein they can officially be ininformed of their duties as owner

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also, document dates/ times and damages of all incursions by their horde

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    When you phone them back today what did they say?

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Take pictures too!

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would lodge a complaint with your animal control officer. Short of that, I'd get out a .22 for a little target practice. Or you could use a paint ball gun. Sad when the animals have to pay the price for human stupidity. But, I'd not allow neighbor's birds on my land for all of the reasons you stated.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Your yard is fenced, and they still find a way in? Can you catch them, clip their wings and toss them back over the fence? (My DH would suggest clipping their wings right under the chin...)

8. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Peafowl have been considered a delicacy for centuries, and have graced the tables of royalty both in Asia and Europe...
    Not sure if it would be legal where you are to take them out this way, but I'm just pointing out that they're good eating.

lazy gardener and KikisGirls like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by