Any advice for pecked baby care?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by burquechick, Jun 18, 2008.

1. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    My little Sicilian buttercup, Sadie, got pecked on bad by her sisters last night. Her poor little butt was all covered in blood. I didn't have time to do much this morning, so I put her in the cat crate with food and water and left her under a tree. I just got home, she looks ok, no more bleeding, but I'm worried she will get infected or something. Her butt looks purple and swollen. My brother told me there were house sparrows in there with her all day. I hope they weren't picking on her. Should I bring her inside? Can I rinse her off and add some watered-down hydrogen peroxide?

2. burquechick

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ok, so I rinsed off her butt with some soap and warm water. She seemed to like it. I now have her locked up in an extra bedroom so she can get some peace and quiet. Is there anything else I should do?

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The use of peroxide is up for debate here. I would clean it as best as you can and put some neosporin on it-not the pain killer neosporin-just plain neosporin. I would also put her indoors somewhere. A prediator could reach through the bars on that crate and kill her. She will also need to be kept warm so she can put all her energy into healing and not keeping warm.

4. burquechick

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thank you so much! I just put the neosporin on her. It made her start bleeding again a little, but it's not too bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by