1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any advice for stabilizing humidity in an LG?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweeterdeeter42, May 3, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    We are in lockdown, day 1, and the humidity keeps going up and down. It was 45 so I put both plugs in, then went up so I took a plug out, now it is back down to 49. I just want to get it up a little between 55 and 60, but it keeps jumping large amounts. Any tips? It is a LG still air.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You need to have it in a room that is not well traveled and has a consistent temperature. Some place where the door isn't being opened and closed all the time.

3. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    It's in a closet in the baby's room with the door closed. Cant get much less traveled than that. [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I cant ever get mine to get stabled with turning the heat and A/C on and off, opening the windows, rain, wind, and hot days, etc.

I'm so tired with this weather!

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

What does the humidity rise to when you have both plugs in?

Couple things I would try - I have an LG but it has a fan.

Stick both plugs in - see what the humidity does, it may level off and then fall. (I am not crazy about this idea cause I like some air circ. in the bator)

Put a damp clothe/rag over one of the air holes - see if that helps hold humidity.

6. agstanley

agstanley Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Conway, MO
    I've used LG tabletops for years, with incredible hatch rates. I have discovered that, unless you are hatching ducks, humidity just isn't that important. High humidity at hatch is much more important for ducklings and geese. This is because they are such a slow hatch and the membrane can dry out before they get out of the shell. For chicks, it's pretty irrelevant. Once they start on their way out, it doesn't take them long.

Regards.

7. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    It has been staying steady, so I hope it is good!!! And I get some chicks tomorrow!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by