any advice for this time around?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sweetlilbaby, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Starting attempt 3 of incubating eggs this year. First one was no hatch because my power went out for 2 days. at that point i didn't even try to keep the eggs going in the incubator because they had gone cold.
    Attempt two all rotten except one and it didn't hatch.

Any advice?
    I am using a still air incubator turning eggs by hand. I currently do not have money to get a new incubator, egg turner or anything like that.
    I consider the second failed hatch as a step forward. One egg had a fully formed chick in it.

2. judsenn

judsenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Are these chickens? What day are you on...incubation? What do you keep your temp and humidity at? Some eggs are hardy enough to survive 2 days with no heat, you shouldn't have thrown them..they could have still developed.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Chicken eggs
    I was keeping them at 60% humidity, this time trying 45-50%
    Temp is at 99.8-100.8
    I am now on day 1 (set the eggs in there just before posting)

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    60% humidity is way to high for the first 18 days. I am trying something a bit different that someone w/ lots of hatching experience recommended. For the first 18 days keep the humidity between 38-42%. I compromised and am keeping it at 40%. At Day 19 up it to 50-52%, Day 20 55-58% and then Day 21 60-62%. I know most people say at Day 18, which they call lockdown don't open the incubator. I will be monitoring the humidity really close the next few days as tomorrow is Day 18 for my eggs. Hoping to get a better hatch this time by going w/ these levels than my first hatch. Hope this is helpful.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I've incubated in the past and had good luck. Never kept track of humidity. This is the first year that I measured humidity. I read from several sites and averaged it to 60% humidity. Should have joined here first to ask.
    I just checked the incubator and it's at 50% humidity with no water in it. guess no need for water for the first 18 days :) I'll keep an eye on it. But the room it's self has several plants that are kept moist, room temp is 70 so the room it's self is humid.
    Does it matter if the temp changes between 99.5 to 102? when I had just checked the temp went to 102.5 i opened it for a minute to cool it off to 101. The bedroom has the evening sun shine in so the whole room warmed up to 80 and the incubator only went to 102.5 If that temp is okay for the incubator then i wont have to mess with it except to turn the eggs.

6. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Also what is the soonest day I can stop turning the eggs?
    I have read some sites say day 16 stop turning them, some say day 17, what i'm use to is day 18 stop turning them. But if I can stop a few days early that would be nice.

I have it marked on my calender.
    What is the best day to candle the eggs for the first time? I would like to candle them first to check for any that aren't fertile, then a second or even third time to make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I'm so excited, can't wait to candle all my eggs in a few days. Anyone know how to check the extremely dark brown shelled eggs? when I first got the eggs I shined a light in each one to see the difference in the colors of shells and ability to candle them. The dark brown egg didn't glow at all. Couldn't see in it. If I cant candle it I'll have to leave it in there even if it's not fertile. now way to know if it is fertile.
    These were shipped eggs. so not sure how well they will hatch.

8. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I candled my eggs last night all 12 are fertile. What are the odds of that? and inside there is a lot of movement already. I'm keeping humidity at 50% right now. It's working much better this time.

9. judsenn

Apr 11, 2012
    WOW, that's great!!! So when did you actually set your eggs? I set some Silkies on the 25th of April, started with 12 but only 7 are fertile. [​IMG]

10. judsenn

Apr 11, 2012
    ...oh, and my humidity has been anywhere from 41%-and 50%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by