Any advice for treating arthritis in elderly hen?

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello!

I have an elderly (8.5 years old) Barred Rock whose legs/feet have been gradually growing stiffer and making it difficult for her to walk. A few days ago I noticed her really struggling to stand/walk. I have brought her inside and have made sure she can reach her food and water, taking her out again when I can be outside with her or when I’m home and can check on her regularly.

Other than the bad legs/feet, she seems perfectly healthy - eats and drinks, normal poop, still pecks at the younger hens when they get within pecking range. I know she’s at the tail end of her life, but if I can try some remedies to help ease any pain she might be in, that would be great. She’s a pet, so I want to do what’s best by her and want to at least try improving her condition before considering putting her down.

I’ve read about mixing turmeric and/or Cayenne pepper in her food, as well as giving her Meloxicam or Carprofen or even using CBD oil. If anyone has any experience treating arthritis in chickens, I’d love to know what worked for you. Thanks so much!

Meloxicam is a good product but needs a vet prescription. When I have an order bird who cannot get on and off a roost, I place a basket or nest on the ground of the coop with bedding. Rimadyl or deramax are prescription products that I have given to my dogs with arthritis. We have seen dogs who could not get up, finally rise after a few days of rimadyl. My golden lived 3 years after going down. Rimadyl is often given for pain after spay/neuters or other surgeries. If you have an agreeable vet who knows you, they might give you some to try, the next time you are there for shots or with a pet.

Meloxicam is a good product but needs a vet prescription. When I have an order bird who cannot get on and off a roost, I place a basket or nest on the ground of the coop with bedding. Rimadyl or deramax are prescription products that I have given to my dogs with arthritis. We have seen dogs who could not get up, finally rise after a few days of rimadyl. My golden lived 3 years after going down. Rimadyl is often given for pain after spay/neuters or other surgeries. If you have an agreeable vet who knows you, they might give you some to try, the next time you are there for shots

1/2 of a 300mg aspirin, once a week, works for my arthritic bird.

Thank you so much for the feedback! @Perris That's a regular adult aspirin, correct? Not children's? Just want to double check! :wee

@Eggcessive Next time I'm at the vet, I'll ask about Rimadyl. Thanks for the recommendation! :love

Alice Update!
My old girl has been doing great! I have been giving her 1/2 an Aspirin once a week, but even before that she was back to her usual self. Still walks a little stiff, but gets around just fine. Thanks so much for all the help and positive thoughts :love.

Alice Update!
My old girl has been doing great! I have been giving her 1/2 an Aspirin once a week, but even before that she was back to her usual self. Still walks a little stiff, but gets around just fine. Thanks so much for all the help and positive thoughts :love.
thanks so much for letting us know; I'm delighted to hear that she's better :)

Hello!

I have an elderly (8.5 years old) Barred Rock whose legs/feet have been gradually growing stiffer and making it difficult for her to walk. A few days ago I noticed her really struggling to stand/walk. I have brought her inside and have made sure she can reach her food and water, taking her out again when I can be outside with her or when I’m home and can check on her regularly.

Other than the bad legs/feet, she seems perfectly healthy - eats and drinks, normal poop, still pecks at the younger hens when they get within pecking range. I know she’s at the tail end of her life, but if I can try some remedies to help ease any pain she might be in, that would be great. She’s a pet, so I want to do what’s best by her and want to at least try improving her condition before considering putting her down.

I’ve read about mixing turmeric and/or Cayenne pepper in her food, as well as giving her Meloxicam or Carprofen or even using CBD oil. If anyone has any experience treating arthritis in chickens, I’d love to know what worked for you. Thanks so much!
I have three older hens around six years old. And I’ve been searching and searching for something natural to help them and aspirin and Boswella Is great for inflammation. I myself had a foot spur and after trying everything under the sun Boswella I actually took away the pain because of the inflammation. It’s been around thousands of years it’s actually an Indian frankincense. What I’ve done is put three capsules in their water per day. I’ve searched and search and can’t find anything else natural for poor little hens. Yes I gave I have a large Brahma and she was limping I gave her half aspirin but it didn’t last but a day.And I know it can’t be good to keep giving him aspirin that’s why I found the Boswella.

Back
Top Bottom