Any advice on early hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Allicoop, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Allicoop

Allicoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hi guys,
    I was hoping to get some advice. As of half an hour ago it is day 19 for my eggs. About lunchtime yesterday I heard an internal pip...totally surprised. So it's been about 12hours, I'm not stressing yet. The little egg is rocking now and then (cant see any zigs yet or any beak hole as i can only see half of the egg) but I'm hearing chirps still. What I'd like to know is by lunchtime tomorrow it will be 24hrs, I am hesitant to intervene as I don't want to risk the other eggs by opening the incubator unless I have to. As long as I hear the cheeping, I guess it's better to leave him. But if I can't see any progress and he is intermittently cheeping should I take him out and only assist minimally. The other worry is if he hatches fine. I still have about 3 days before the others may hatch, will he be ok in there for that long? Ive heard 2 days is ok but 3 ? Any advice would be great.

2. 3Dchicken

3Dchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    Do you have a brooder? Put it in there once it is all fluffy. I think it would be best to leave it for now. It is still strong if it is rocking around at day 19! Maybe if the rocking stops or slows down poke a hole in the side of the air cell (make sure it is the air cell you are poking!) I am pretty new at hatching, so someone else will no doubt have better advice. :D

3. HarrietB

HarrietB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    i had mine start pipping on day 18, hatched on day 19. needed help because it somehow got stuck! he is in the brooder on his own now with a few teddies and seems to be perfectly happy but he does get lots of cuddles with me! i was very surprised with how eatrly he hatched but this little one is in perfect health! wish you all the luck with yours

4. 3Dchicken

Sep 24, 2012
    Some just hatch early. It depends on your incubator settings- how warm it is. The warmer it is, the faster they grow, the earlier they hatch. :3

5. HarrietB

HarrietB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    id be interested to know if there was a link between egg size, mine were tiny dutch bantam eggs so i think that had something to do with it

6. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Thanks for the replies. He's the only one that's peeping. Temp is set to 38 degrees, which is recommended for the bell south. Humidity is at 59%. Once he has hatched don't I run the risk of shrink wrapping the others if I open the bator?

7. 3Dchicken

Sep 24, 2012
    I think shrink wrapping happens only if any of the eggs is pipped...

8. 3Dchicken

Sep 24, 2012
    You can leave them in there for two days after they've hatched so don't worry yet!

9. Allicoop

Dec 30, 2012
    Western Australia
    Yay, it has hatched this morning! It looks good so far and is trying to be quite active. Very vocal to so I think it might encourage the others to start moving along. One thing I forgot to do was line the wire in my incubator. Will they be okay, it's the bellsouth 100. It has the tiny wire squares in it. Was worried it might be too hot on his body?

10. 3Dchicken

Sep 24, 2012
    I don't know what you mean by "line the wire."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by