ANY advice on planning coop design welcome!

Sarahuh

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2017
Gardner, KS
After much research and consideration I have decided to not purchase a pre-fab coop/run, and see if I have what it takes to build a coop. This will only be possible with the help from my dad, who seems more than enthusiastic to be working with me on such a big project. He is not an architect, but he did build a small "apartment" in the basement of his house, and has turned a screened in porch into an enclosed sun room, so it would seem that he has the skills necessary to take one of the coops I found on this site, and create a "building plan" for a coop that will suit my needs. I am seeking any advisement anyone has to offer on modifications, or suggestions to make building go smoothly. I am all about "work smarter, not harder".
Background - I live on a 10,000 sq foot lot in a neighborhood with a privacy fence. There are many corn fields around the neighborhood, and I have not seen any soon to be predators roaming around - yet! The city I live in requires a permit for keeping chickens, and the most I could legally have is 10. They are also not allowed to free range, and I have to have 10 sq feet per bird for the enclosure, which seems consistent with the recommendations I found in my research as well. My original plan was for 2 chickens, but after more research, it seems that 2 was not a good idea, because if one dies, the other chicken would not do well alone. So I decided 3 would be great. After deciding I would get them as chicks, and more research, I purchased 4, as it seems that most people state that not all of them will make it. ( I believe this is just the beginning of the "chicken math" that I have read about).
tongue.png

Plan - 1 coop, 12 sq feet. 2 nesting boxes, 1 roost. Run, with ground space of 50 sq feet.
I really like the "Rancho Chickacabra", located on the 2nd page of "Small Coops". I have attached some pictures from that post below.
A few questions I have.
1. Pros/cons of covering the ground with the hardware cloth vs 18 inch apron. I will not be digging a trench for a "skirt". From what I can tell, people have said that the chickens will dig and the hardware cloth for the base may hurt them. If I did do the "floor" of hardware cloth, I would do a layer of gravel, landscape fabric on top, then the wire, and sand on top. From what I read, this would promote the best option for drainage. After more reading, this seems unnecessary, and the apron would be fine. How do you keep the apron tacked down? Is there a favorite product that is similar to something like a tent stake? Do you still use the 1/2 inch hardware cloth for this?
2. For the 2 long walls, would it be better to have a 2x4 that goes halfway up (to attach the hardware cloth to) down the entire wall? Does anyone have any insight as to why only they did not do this in their design? (It appears the member that posted this has not been active since 2012, or I would message them and ask).
3. There seems to be a 50/50 split on a very strong staple with an air gun, vs screws and washers. I also saw someone mention using pennies instead of washers? I don't think that pennies would work with 1/2" hardware cloth.
4. I don't have a lot of shade. I do have one tree that I plan on putting the run under, but I plan on putting a roof on this setup. I haven't done much research on how to do a roof yet, but any insight into adding a roof to this coop would be appreciated.
5. I will have to have an electronic door, as I work nights, I leave my house sometimes at 1700 and don't get back home sometimes until 0800. I haven't seen anything too negative about them, but for predator protection, this seems to be the only real option I have (besides finding a husband
lau.gif
).

I'm sure I will have other questions as my dad finalizes the plans, and I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer on my first coop building experience!

my advice..built your coop bigger.
chicken math is very real!

I suggest gravel in the run. I used pea pebbles d/t soggy/muddy run. I love it! I just sprinkle DE on rocks then power wash poo into gravel. No smell and it stays clean! Good luck!

LOL On advice here my plan has gotten somewhat but not much larger as the max our zoning laws allow is 5. I also started thinking 2 upped it to 3, but as they get older and aren't laying as much figure I can cheat a bit with 3 more. My neighbors at this time wouldn't care. Coop will be built later this summer for chicks early next spring. Where you are think also how are you going to protect you hens from the wind, here outside of KC MO the winds the last 2 years have been awful. Just this week several days with 40+ mph winds.

Back
Top Bottom