any advice on sexing wyandottes??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amandadrewry, Aug 29, 2014.

1. amandadrewry

amandadrewry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    I have blrw & Slw that are 2 weeks old. I know that's too early to tell gender, but was wondering what signs show up first & at what ages. I've never had Wyandotte's before and have heard they can be difficult to tell apart. I notice yesterday that some of their tails have started coming in. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As with most breeds, male Wyandottes will often feather in slower than pullets. This means that they will stay looking "gawky" for a while longer, while pullets of the same age are nice and sleekly feathered. However, if both of your chicks are feathering at that same rate, that doesn't really help.

Another difference that can become obvious at a young age is that Wyandotte cockerels have a much broader comb than the pullets do. A pullet's comb stays rather narrow and pink until she begins laying eggs, but a cockerel's comb broadens out and reddens up rather quickly. If you start noticing that one of your chick's comb is becoming redder/larger before the other one, you can probably assume it is a cockerel.

3. amandadrewry

Jun 16, 2014
    Thank you so much! I have 15 of them all together and can see some differences but wasn't sure what it all meant. I've never had chicks with anything but a single comb, so wasn't sure what to look for. Thanks again!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

5. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    RugaRoo SLW Roo 8 weeks [​IMG]
    Pretty Girl SLW Pullet 8 weeks [​IMG]
    See how ruff his feathers look compaired to hers and his comb and waddles. HUGE! Lol

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  6. amandadrewry

Jun 16, 2014
    Yes, thank you! How early do the changes usually start?

7. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    It takes me longer to be able to sex wyandottes than other breeds... I have 7, 7 week old wyandottes right now. I'm only now becoming confident about all of their sexes. Their hatch mates (other breeds) were obvious at about 4-6 weeks old. With the wyandottes, I had 1 obvious pullet and 1-2 obvious boys. The rest took longer. Most of them will have pinkish combs either way. The size and color of the wattles is the best indicator in wyandottes in my opinion.

8. amandadrewry

Jun 16, 2014
    OK, thanks so much!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I can usually begin to guess on gender around four weeks old, but I'm sometimes wrong. Its easier at eight weeks or so.

10. amandadrewry

Jun 16, 2014
    OK thanks! I've tried to upload a photo but am having difficulties. Can you tell if a chick will be a black blrw at a day old? When I got mine there was one chick that was way darker than the others but still had a dark blue/ gray tone in areas. The feather pattern looks very similar to some of my others only darker, but its tail has come in way faster. I'm clueless.Lol hoping its not an entirely different breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by