Any advice on what to do for the sores on my hen's foot??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeccaLeigh, Feb 26, 2014.

1. BeccaLeigh

BeccaLeigh Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    Well,at first I just thought she was being a lazy eater when I saw her sitting down to eat grass, but then I noticed one of my ladies is also walking a little funny today, and upon checking her out,I found the bottom of her foot looking like this.
    She is the only one of the flock with this problem going on.They free range all day long, and are put up in the evenings.
    Is it bumble foot?
    Any advice??[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That probably is bumblefoot, but it looks pretty infected. There seems to be several black spots to work on. I would be tempted to take her to a vet for for antibiotics and treatment. If that is not an option, I would begin doing very warm epsom salt soaks to the feet twice a day. Then I would get a set of disposable scalpels from TSC, some gauze square, neopsorin ointment, and vet wrap. Then I would do the surgery and try to squeeze out any solid pus kernels. If you think she needs it, procaine penicillin G shots 1/4 ml daily in the breast for 4 days can be given. Use a 20 gauge needle, and only inject just over 1/2 inch into the muscle. Here are a couple of links to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bumblefoot-how-to-treat-your-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. BeccaLeigh

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    Ok, unfortunately the vet isn't an option at this time, but I will definitely do whatever I can to help her out.How long would you soak the foot? And should I separate her from the others with a special type of bedding at night? Or keep her fastened up during treatment??

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would soak the foot for 20 minutes twice a day for several days, but I wouldn't wait too long to do the surgery. She doesn't need to be separated, but I would make sure that my floors had a thick enough layer of dry bleeding. Many times bumblefoot occurs from hard floors or tiny rocks that cut the feet. After the surgery you might keep her in a cage in the coop for 2 days so the bandage is kept dry until the first bandage change.

1 person likes this.
  5. BeccaLeigh

May 19, 2013
    Punta Gorda, Fl
    Ok..I was reading up on everything in the links you posted, the the step by step pics will be a huge help.It looks like I've got my work cut out for me! I'll hopefully be getting the supplies tonight, and I'm making the hubby help me.
    I've been using hay as bedding,and always keep it clean, but I'm thinking I should maybe swap to something softer..? And this hen in fact always climbs the steps of my kid's playset, and jump/flies off to the ground (it's pretty high up). I'm wondering if maybe that could have contributed to the caused of this.
    But thank you so much for the info, I HATE seeing her like this, and I really hope I can give her some relief!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by