1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Advice? Peter Tweeter is Sick!!!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Help! I have a small BBR OEGB that is really sick:hit. She was going to go free range when my dog knocked a board on top of her. I saw it happen so I grabbed it and took it off of her. It was only on her for 2 seconds, but I'm worried. She ran off and jumped up onto the nest box. I picked her up and she just layed her head on my arm. Now she is in my garage in a tub of hay. She will lift her head and open her eyes when you talk and walk past. I think she will be ok, but I'm not sure. I really want her to be ok because she is my daughter's chicken. I dont want her to pass, but I dont know what to do. Any advice? Thank you everyone for everything!

2. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Update: She can stand up now and walk. I would still like to know when I can put water and food in there for her. Anyone?

3. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Could have caused a concussion?
    Maybe just knocked the wind out of her?

Keep her quiet and still, not much else you can do for a blow to the head.

Give her love and of course her food and water!
    Maybe some mellow music for her headache.

good luck

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thank you so much! She is alone but I will put my silkie in with her. Thank you again for your reply! Thanks again!

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Update: she can walk around and I put her in my recoup coop and she can walk around and she has eaten and drank some but she wants to be alone it seems. She is alOne, but why doesn't she want to be with the others? She got Valentines Day hotdog bun and some cuties and she ate quite a bit of those. I think she liked te music; she fell asleep to it. Will she be ok?!?

7. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Put some electrolytes in her water. Can you keep her warm. It sounds like she is in shock and perhaps a concussion. Just keep her eating and drinking.

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    thanks! She is back to her normal self I think. She is in with my silkie and they are playing together like usual! I am so glad she has recovered. Going to give her a few more days in the recoup coop and then release her into the big coop again. She is roosting up high again like her normal Peter Tweetery self. Thank you all SOOOOOOOOOOOLL MUCH!!!!!!!

9. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    X2- I would also offer her protein and probiotixs (think meal worms and yogurt).

10. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    The cities I fed her had some yogurt on them! They were left overs. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by