Any advice please

alexm1822

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
Hi yall, again learning alot by looking over the site, but this is my first flock and there about to outside. Coop is secure against racoons and such but but any non chemical advice for snakes and other health hazards

A coop secure against raccoons will also be secure against snakes - the reason that I say that is any opening a shake that is large enough to pose a hazard to your flock will require an entrance that will also be sufficient to be taken advantage of by mammalian predators as well. Snakes are not always bad, in fact most are very beneficial and few actually do harm to birds - that said, you don't want them in the coop (outside they are great at controlling rodents, etc drawn in by the grain based feeds) . Half inch hardware cloth on any opening larger than an inch will secure your coop against predators.

Is the hardware cloth the stuff that looks like tiny squared welded wire? And i have to admit, it is as much for me as for my birds, i am afraid snakes!

Yes, Hardware cloth is the welded wire in small squares. It comes in 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch squares. It's also galvanized to resist corrosion. In my younger days we used to call it RAT WIRE to keep rats and mice out of the feed. Mostly only us ol' timers remember that.

Awesome thanks! And ive set up theyre run against my barn w/ a temp house inside, want to cut in and build a setup inside by winter

Back
Top Bottom