Any advice would be welcome- sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs123Wife, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Mrs123Wife

Mrs123Wife Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017
    Hello all, we recently brought home 15 children chick's from tsc. The last few we brought home are Isa browns and probably only 2-3 days old. Two of the three are thriving with our other chicks, but one isn't doing well. She doesn't seem to be eating, and she'll only drink when I give it to her on a spoon. We separated her from the bunch just in case she was sick and put her in her own smaller brooder to make sure she was warm enough. She walks around and peeps non stop until she falls asleep. I am treating her for coccidossis with corrid in her water. She has eaten a little raw egg yolk and maybe a few bites of starter feed.

We're concerned because she isn't perking up and she peeps more than she doesn't. I have a photo of her poop (but can't seem to upload it), it was watery with some dark spots (greenish?) , but not bloody, and was wondering wonder if anyone can give us opinions about how else we can nurse her back. We've tried giving her sugar water and she will drink a few sips at a time and I'll give her water every few hours.

Any help from you chicken experts would be so appreciated!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Unless the other chicks are injuring her, she's better off with the group, not alone. Anything contagious (unlikely) has already been spread around, so it's not an issue. Offer chick starter, maybe with warm water, cooked egg, and electrolytes like Nutridrench, and hope for the best. Sadly, not all chicks will live no matter what you do for them. Good luck, Mary

3. Mrs123Wife

Mrs123Wife Just Hatched

Apr 12, 2017

Thank you. We picked up some Gatorade, but sadly, she was gone when we got home
    Our hearts are absolutely broken,but we know she had more care and love here than she would have had if we left her at the store. It's amazing how quickly one can become attached to a little fluff ball. We will miss her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by