any advice?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bertunzo, Dec 31, 2016.

1. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    minks been killing my chickens any advice to get rid of minks?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    The only thing I can think of without buying fairly expensive traps and mink boxes is to either shoot them or use a rat trap. I would place some very bloody meat like liver or the head of a dead chicken on the trigger and see what happens.

3. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    You could also try live trapping them if you have traps to do so.

4. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    tried rat trap and trap disappeared put rat poison inside wall they ate it but still been finding dead chicken one almost every day going to try to find some better traps before i have none left went from 53 to about 30 in the last month they are laying a lot less eggs too i think cause they are scared thanks for reply

5. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Sorry to hear about all of the loss, you could attempt to wire off the rat traps. But if you going to get better traps I would suggest conibear traps 110, 120, or 160 (I prefer 160s). Then place the trap over where they are getting in. You could look up mink boxes, there pretty simple to make but you still need a conibear trap.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I also have some experience with snares and if you can find the whole they are entering in from you could set up a little nose made of wire a little smaller then the whole. This will not work as well as the conibears though but you could give it a try.

7. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I once had a problem very similar to yours but with weasels. And by far the best protection aganist these pests is half inche hardware cloth around the whole coop and a foot or so level with the ground to prevent dig ins. The best way to kill weasels is by far rat traps so I would still give them a try even though mink are quite a bite larger.

8. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    thank you i think i will try conibear traps i need to get rid of these pests

9. birdmanmax

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Glad I could help hope it all works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by