1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any advice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by familyfarm1, Aug 11, 2014.

1. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'll try to make it short and sweet. We have nine hens and one rooster. The rooster, Zorro[​IMG], is a gentleman to all of his ladies. Well this spring we got ten more chicks from TSC, four SLW and six RIR pullets. needless to say two of the four SLW are boys, and although Zorro keeps them in check, will the hens be ok with the roo ratio? Zorro will not let the young roos mount any of the hens (if he sees them try he'll bull them over[​IMG]). any thoughts?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Nope. Too many roosters in the henhouse - they will eventually cause trouble, and you do not have enough hens. You could pen them separately if you really want to keep them.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You'll need to either build a bachelor pad for the extra roosters or re-home/butcher them.

4. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

3 roos and 17hens probably won't work. Unless you can house then with their own hens you should get it down to one roo. I have two roos with 22 hens and the only
    Reason it works is the second too developed late and the first too had already established himself. Now if too two trys anything too one just steps toward him and he takes off.

5. jtn42248

Most of those too's should read roo. I am using a new tablet and it spell checks funny....sorry

6. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    ok, thank you!

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've kept two roosters with only 6 hens. They were brothers raised together and that helps. Far too few hens in my case so had some bare backs. Culled the more aggressive one eventually. I don't see why you can't keep two roosters with 17 females. It's a good ratio. Best chance of it working out would probably be keeping the two young cockerels that have been raised together.

8. jtn42248

My two were raised together...in fact the Dominique roo was the "free rare breed" in my order. I think that is why we have had a little conflict as we have. That and the fact that I thought the Dom was just a psycho hen at first...he matured later that my Andalusian roo. Fortunately I am not trying to breed the chickens. God only knows what mixes we would end up with.

9. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Thank so much! I thought that since the younger two were Brothers that they would be alright. oh well, we'll see. thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by