Any advise please? Bloody poop pics, help please!

Katiebt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
My chicks are 6 weeks old, we have had them for 2. They are growing great and getting lots of pretty feathers. Seem normally active as far as I can tell, eating and drinking. They have had what looked initially like the "intestinal lining" bloody poops since we have had them, it is daily. They have had 7 days of Corrid and it does not seem any better. Is it something else, do I just watch since they seem to act ok, could it be a worming issue. I am new at this and not sure what to do now. Poops are def worse in am. Here is 2 this morning. Prior to coming to us they had started going out with other chicks, ducks, turkeys.

You will see two kinds of poop with chickens and chicks. Cecal droppings, which look have the consistency of pudding and sort of a brassy brown color and it's very stinky, and then the regular poops, black with the white in a firm shape.

Now, that does look abnormal to me. But they, as you said, are acting healthy. If they've had cocci, the Corid should have taken care of that. Sometimes the lining of the intestines does become irritated though, and could be infected. Then you could use some Duramayacin powder in their drinking water as an antibiotic. That is what I did with some chicks I had a few years ago that had bloody stool. I used both the Corid and the Duramayacin.

The Cocci are actually little tiny organisms, and then you kill them with the Corid (Or Sulmet. Then the irritated lining might call for an antibiotic.

I'm no expert, I'm just sharing what worked for me. It's a real good sign that they're all acting healthy. I would stay on top of it until this bloody stool is gone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I will find that antibiotic. Do you know if that is something at tractor supply versus online? I will call them. So you wouldn't suspect worms? Reading the worm stuff on website kind of worries me but sounds like they would be too young to treat that. Thank you for your advise!

Back
Top Bottom