Any advise welcome!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by piphens7, Aug 30, 2013.

1. piphens7

piphens7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Cumbria England
    I got 7 hybrid hens from a rebuttable breeders locally around 4 weeks ago & during the 1st week one of the girls was sneezing, I panicked immediately (as being new & already a over the top stressed out mother of 2 cats 3 dogs & 2 kids ) thought I'd contact the breeder who emailed me back to say hens got sneezes at times. Anyway the hens are all laying & eating etc . However a few others have began to sneeze and I've had them on respite liquid for around a week, got poultry spice & lots of layer pellets & mealworms for a snack, some people tell you hens can have colds & others tell you it's more serious than a cold.? Does it take a bit to get over? If my hens have a cold then surely all the hens the breeder has? I am going to get some flubenvet pellets just in case, can anyone recommend them? I've heard they are easier to use than mixing the wormer in? The hens are even laying everyday! They are the perfect pet hens and I don't want to cull them( I would have to ask someone else, perhaps my husband who thinks they are smelly and horrible!) everyone I know with hens don't have any problems & have had them years, it's typical as soon as I finally get hens they are ill, I've heard when they get moved to new pasture they can get a cold, they are free range through the day & in a large dust free coop at night. So many different opinions I am a bit confused! Any advise would be great , thanks

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens don't get colds, they get chronic respiratory infections. Yes, a chicken will occasionaly sneeze from a bit of dust, just as you or I would, but that doesn't sound like what this is. If you keep them you should maintain a closed flock, meaning no birds or eggs for hatching ever leave your property. Good advice in post #9 here, from an experienced member:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ow-a-buggery-nose-on-my-roo/0_20#post_9778598

3. piphens7

piphens7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Cumbria England
    Hi , thanks, I am only a hen owner for the eggs, no way would I be hatching any! I already feel well out of my depth and can't believe how much there is to learn, my husband is sick of me harping on about the hens! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by