any animal 4-hers

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gaited horse, Aug 25, 2008.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    anyone on here do any animal 4-h i want know what you do and if you do dog 4-h

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    My boys have showed poultry and llama. Hamilton County in Indiana has a great animal showing. There is a huge dog club and they have obedience and obstacle shows, but we don't have a dog. It is fun to watch the shows.

3. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i start in febuary 3 months earlyer then i thouhgt it would start

4. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    I work very closely with our 4-h Horse events. I do hope when my son is old enough that he is involved in 4-h. It's a great program that no one takes advantadge of in our area.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'd like to join 4-H once we move to the country and can have some goats and more chickens. Could anyone tell me what is involved in joining?

6. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    Quote:You just sign up and choose which areas of 4-h you are intersted in participating in. They will point you where to go from there.

7. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    You just sign up and choose which areas of 4-h you are intersted in participating in. They will point you where to go from there.

Does anyone have any information on how to find a local 4H club? How to get started? The only links that I have found seem to be set up to help people who are already familiar with 4H.​

8. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    In Michigan, 4-H is ran through Michigan State University Extension. If you look up 4-H office in your phone book it may be there. Another thought is to look up 4-H in the internet

You don't have to have animals to join 4-H. There are a lot of possibilites of project areas.

We are involved in 4-H and love it. I grew up in 4-H and my kids are 4th generation 4-Her's.

9. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    when does your guy's 4-h season start

10. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Try a google search for "4H Cooperative Extension Office" and "your location". This should pull up several leads. I think 4H starts in 3rd grade...but some places offer Junior 4H. Also, many 4H communities offer scholerships for 10-year members, etc. I THINK it is WAY better than boy scouts and/or girl scouts as far as club experience, involvement, and life lessons.

Our "season" starts in September (signups) and the club meets monthly. There is a signup deadline...call your extension office to get all the details!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by