Any animal protein mixed aged flock feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    My chickens were eating Tucker Milling layer pellets & I had recently switched to the 22% for them for the cold weather & the molting.

But, I have mixed ages now, some that shouldn't be eating all that calcium, so I got Purina Flock Raiser. I need to get some more feed today. Is there one with animal protein instead of vegetarian diet?

What about game bird food?

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Well, chickens aren't vegetarians. I would avoid a vegetarian food as a sole food source. I am not really sure, I quit buying chicken food and started mixing my own. I feed mine meat from our scraps and the bugs I raise for them. Hmmm.

Maybe Google "chicken feed ingredient animal protein"? Good luck.

3. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Rocking Rooster at Southern States is the only one I have found that still has animal protein in it.

4. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm having a heck of a time with finding food for all mine alike. I've got several bachelor pens and the boys don't need all the calcium in layer pellets plus most the girls aren't laying yet. I thought I was real smart and sent my husband for some sort of all flock feed. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find anything in pellets?? Jeez. He called from several feed stores and I ended up telling him to get the NatureWise All Flock by Nutrena because it was one of the few in pelleted form. Well that was an hour ago and I just now looked it up in detail and the stuff is vegetarian! Arg! I want some All Flock feed that I can feed to all of them boys and girls both from ages 5 mo to 2 yrs. I'm just going to put oyster shell out for the layers. I don't want to feed just layer pellets because I do have a lot of boys and they're pets, they don't need all that extra calcium.
    Have you looked into game bird feed? That's what I want but I couldn't find any around here (so far) that's pelleted.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I dont know if you can get them in the south but try Buckeye Big 4 or Kent High Flyer 22 is a good choice.
    I myself like Buckeye Big 4 a lot.

Buckeye Big 4
    Crude Protein, min. 20.00%
    Lysine, min. 1.10%
    Methionine, min 0.39%
    Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
    Crude Fiber, max. 4.00%
    Calcium, min. 0.70%
    Calcium, max. 1.20%
    Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
    Salt, min. 0.10%
    Salt, max. 0.60%

INGREDIENTS,
    Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Porcine Meat Meal,
    Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Lysine, DL-Methionine,
    Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
    Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3
    Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K
    Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine
    Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, d-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic
    Acid, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast.

http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/media/137494/big 4 pellets.pdf

Chris

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Chris, thank you. The closest Buckeye Big 4 dealer is over an hour from me through heavy traffic. There used to be a Kent feed dealer about 30 miles away, I just talked to them and he said Evergreen/Kent went out of business in Oklahoma and they don't carry it anymore. This is a really bad state for trying to find animal supplies unless it has to do with horses.
    Well this sucks.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ksane,
    Here are some other ideas that you could try,

1 - If you are feeding a 20% protein feed then you could mix in some 14% Hog Finisher. Hog Finisher (hog feed in general) should have animal protein in it.
    You can mix 75 lbs poultry feed to 25 lbs hog finisher.

2 - Another thing is a product like Click Here it is a 58% animal protein supplement

3 - You can add about 10 lbs of Fish Meal to 90 lbs Poultry feed.

4 - If you can find a Game Fish pellet (the type used for feeding stocked ponds), there around 38% protein and should have a good amount of animal protein in it. Just check the tag too see if it has animal proteins in it. You can mix a little of that into there feed.

Hope this helps

Chris

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  8. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    We don't have Kent or Buckeye here. [​IMG]

Today I got some MannaPro Poultry Conditioner & gave a little as a treat & added a little in their feeder mixed with their food.

I may get some gamebird feed from a local feed & seed. I looked at the small bag of MannaPro Gamebird/Showbird feed, but it was pretty expensive for the size of it. I thought it would be more economical to just buy a big 50# bag. Hopefully they will have some gamebird feed from either Tucker Milling or Faithway at the local feed & seed.

9. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Chris09, how do you feed the 58% animal protein supplement? Do you mix it with mixed grains and do away with the reg feed,, or?? I have my own oats and barley, and can get corn for a decent price, and would like to cut down on on the high cost of chicken food. I have been calling grain stores and mills within a 2 hour drive and can't find anything much under $16.00 a 50# bag.

10. thompsonfarm

thompsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    OHIO
    I'm vrry leery about feeds with meat in them. They are often unnamed protein sources. these products; "animal fat" "meat meal" "meat an bone meal" "animal by-product meal" etc., come from dead dogs, cats, horses, zoo animals and even road kill. I add meat to their diet for extra protein, go to the butcher an ask for their "waste" cuts sometimes they'll even give them away, I just throw them some raw meat they LOVE it! ( after all in the wild chickens wouldn't find their protein in a bag that says 'chicken feed' and it certainly wouldn't be cooked! Just my .02 cents!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by