Any arsenic in Purina Layena?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Atl_Mom, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Atl_Mom

Atl_Mom New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I bought a bag of this, but the ingredients tag is missing? Does Purina Layena have Roxasrone or any other arsenic compound in it?

I will be switching to an organic feed that I found on (http://www.shopthecoop.com/id47.html) after this bag.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. Atl_Mom

Atl_Mom New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Yes, the website does not say? I've called, but they're in a meeting.

Apparently, arsenic (usually called Roxarsone) is added to most chicken feed to make them grow faster.

4. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Roxarsone was once the coccidiostat of choice. Now it is amprol (usually). Purina does not add it to their feed--at least not to Layena. It would be on the label. Some commercial chicken operations still use Roxarsone, which does turn to arsenic in a chicken's system; it is also excreted as arsenic, polluting nearby waterways.

Honestly, the best way to keep your baby chicks healthy and resistant to coccidiosis is to keep the brooder dry and clean... however, most people insist on the "insurance" of medication.

Edited to add: I should have been clearer that Purina does not add Roxarsone to their feed. They do indeed use amprollium in their medicated chick starter, just like most other brands of medicated starter I have seen.

5. Atl_Mom

Atl_Mom New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by