Any Bantam Cochin Experts Out There?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by User48, Mar 4, 2008.

1. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    I am completely smitten with a splash Cochin bantam I picked up at the Fresno show a little over a week ago & would like to pick out a few more excellent quality hens & a good roo & set up a new bantam Cochin pen. She just layed her first egg yesterday. The breeder I bought her from gave a long list of her virtues & said she came from excellent show stock. She was 30.00, which seemed fair - I'm never one to haggle over prices. There are a good number of bantam Cochins being sold on Eggbid right now & I have my eye on them. Unlike the silkie listings, though, which I can very confidently gauge quality on, I'm pretty clueless on the Cochins. If anyone has some time to spare & could take a look on Eggbid & let me know your impressions, I'd be grateful. Perhaps some of the listed breeders will be familiar to some of you.

Thank you,

Laura

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2008
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Hi Laura ~ most breeders should be more than happy to answer questions about specific birds on auction if you ask them. I do notice that a lot do not put tons of details in there.

I will say Judy Gantt is who we have gotten our cochins from and I love them. They have great temperment and are beautiful. She was a tremendous help in getting us started with cochins and educating us. (Plus I just love going to visit and seeing all of those beautiful birds! hehe) I listed six auctions for her on eggbid a few days ago. Her ID is jgantt. She has some pairs on there and then an auction with two black hens and I think the other was a blue male. She hopes to list some more shortly, from what she said yesterday.

3. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    Thanks for your input, Cindy. That's a big help! I agree that many Eggbid sellers are helpful, but when I first started out with Silkies I made a lot of dumb mistakes because I didn't know any better. At one point, a "very helpful" seller sold me a single combed buff Silkie which, she said, would increase fertility. Although I was really green, I should have known that a single comb is a major flaw. Meanwhile, I paid 50.00 for that bird plus shipping. Since then, I've been far less trusting and rely a lot on word of mouth when making important breeding decisions. Judy's birds look great, and knowing the birds came from a healthy, happy place makes a difference too.

Thanks again,
    Laura

4. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Hmmm...never heard that with silkies and single combs. That was always a major flaw, IMO and I'd give those away to people that just wanted them for eating eggs or imperfect to standard pets, NOT for breeding. hehe I have heard that with blue laced red wyandottes, though. There are definitely those just in it for a buck that will take advantage of newcomers, I agree. I won't say what I think about them/that, but rest assured that it is far from pleasant.

Good luck! :) I am no expert, but would be glad to answer any questions that I am able to. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    The hen in that last one is okay,but the boy is far from SQ, if that's what you're looking for. His shape is far from what I'd like to see in a good cochin, even to the standard (aside from SQ).

IMO, all cochins are pretty, but if you tell me specifically what you want (show quality, just good breeder quality, etc.) I can probably help a little more. I don't want to be too picky and such if you are just looking for a nice looking pet. Hope that makes sense! :)

6. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    Thanks, Kanchii. I had picked out several of the same, especially the first two that you listed. I also really like a blue boy that Judy had listed. Here's another one that looks good to me, though you'll have to go to the seller's web site to see pics:

http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1204574711

Cindy/Asher: Since I'll limit this pen to just a few, ideally I'd like to find some that woudl be considered show quality. Understanding, of course, that show quality is all relative & that there are never guarantees.

Laura

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay. Those two splash girls are pretty. I have a hard time telling in pictures, but the first auction, the hens rump just doesn't look round enough to me. It's so much easier to tell in person, of course and I'd never turn down a beautiful bird, SQ or not. [​IMG]

8. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    if your looking for show or breeder quality, go to the Cochins international website. I was lucky enought to obtain birds and hatching eggs from some of the breeders. Tom Roebuck has been great following up with me on my buffs i got from him and is happy to comment on pictures I send him. If you are looking for splash and mottleds try Jamie Matts , great birds and fair prices and very helpful. Judy Ghant (SP) is also on that site and she has some great birds. Good Luck.

Jen

9. User48

Aug 1, 2007
    Thank you, Jen! I think Jamie is mentioned in a couple of the current listings & it's nice to see another plug for Judy.

Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by