Any beauty tips for hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TreeHugger, Jun 21, 2009.

1. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    Some of my Silkie hens are a litte "shabby" looking. I've had them locked up in the chicken house for the last 2 weeks because I was working on their new run & it wasn't secure, before that they were sharing space with a few roos who proceeded to pull some of their head feathers out. Plus, some of them are going through molting & I just got through battling chicken lice - I think I won that battle. Right now they are on layer chicken crumbles, cracked corn, & plenty of fresh air & grass (at least until they kill it all). Someone suggested I feed them Biotin which is a suppliment for horses to improve hoof & hair growth. Anybody have any suggestions?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    All of the things you describe will cause chickens to look "shabby" molting, lice, kept up. I would just make sure that their getting plenty of fresh air, good feed, clean water and good treats like greens, veggies, etc. They will shape up in time.

P.S. My 2 silkies were in the same shape about 6 months ago. Leg mites, loss of head feathers they are just now starting to feather out again and look good.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  3. pixie74943

pixie74943 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Isn't protein good for feathers? Extra protein scraps or mixing in some high protein feeds might help them clean up faster

4. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Yes show breeder feed a 20% protien ration to keep feathers in top condition. I would be very wary of giving anything to a chicken made for another animal. Chickens digestion works different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: