Any beekeepers who free-range poultry too?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babalubird, Apr 14, 2009.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Just wondered if you can have both or if the poultry eat the bees to the point the hives can't survive.

Or do you have a way to let the two co-exist?

Thanks.

Connie

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    That's an excellent question - my daughter-in-law just set up 2 hives on our property and we have 24 free-range chickens. The hives are at the opposite end of our 2 acres from where the birds are cooped at night, so at least the bees aren't in the middle of most of the activity. We will be putting chicken wire on T-posts to keep the birds and dogs away from the hives' entrances (about 6' from the boxes). We've only had the bees for a few days, so I'm not yet aware of the bee depredation rates by chickens. I guess we're in the same situation w/the same concerns!

3. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Britt, I posted this same question on both my guineafowl site and organic beekeeping site. Their words, not mine, but their consensus seems to be that neither the chickens or guineas seem to bother the bees. Whew!

Hope for both our sakes, it's the truth.

Connie

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:Thanks for that, my daughter-in-law will be very relieved to hear that.

5. NOnuggets

NOnuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene Idaho
    We just make sure the flight path is elevated out of the birds' reach...they are up on a table without enough room for the chickens to perch and wait...they can only get the ground dwellers that need to be put out of their misery...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by