Any Black east indie owners?

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
this little duck breed is evading me. I can't seem to find the info i am looking for when it comes to this breed. Does anyone here own Black east indies? can you help me out?

First of all, are they the same size as calls or are they bigger?

Do they fly well like calls?

What is a females noise level and frequency like? Are they really loud and always chattering like calls?

Are the males aggresive? Can a male mate or even try to mate with a bigger female duck?

Are silkie ducks the same as black east indies?

thanks guys

I have both the BEI's and silkie ducks.
They are a little larger than calls, more stream lined I guess. They fly quite well and some say that their noise level is a little less loud than calls. But seem pretty loud to me. They have their quiet times.
In the spring it is a free for all on mating. I would say that yes they would try mating a larger duck. Don't know how successful they would be though.
My black silkies have pretty close to the same build as the BEI except their feathering doesn't allow them to fly. My mallard colored ones are more built like the wild mallard.
Hope this helps.

We raise East Indies. Most of ours are larger than calls but smaller than a mallard. I think they are considerably quieter than our call ducks.

They will mate with larger ducks or call ducks and can fly quite well.

This photo isn't very good- but hopefully you can see the size of these Black East Indies in with some call ducks. There is a trio of BEI in the center, there bills are also longer than a calls.

CallDucks2.jpg

Buff Call hen, Snowy Call drake, Black East Indie trio with a Snowy Call hen in front of them and a B&W call in back of them, A pair of Grey (Mallard colored) calls and then a young Muscovy drake on the right. Wallaby Kangaroos in the back pen.

We keep about a dozen BEI for breeding.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net or www.sosranch.net

We have a quad of BEI's and white and gray calls. Our indies are alittle smaller than the calls overall. They are more streamlined and fly more like a mallard. Ours are just as noisy as the calls.

Back
Top Bottom