Any black sex linked experts out there?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarieNC, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    We have two black sex linked girls, about three months old. They have the feather pattern of female black sex linked chicks but one of them has a noticeably larger comb than the other one. In fact she has a much larger comb than any of the other chicks, and they're all the same age. I'll try to get some pictures. She is a bit larger than the other one but not terribly so. Is it possible for a black sex linked with the female feather pattern be male??? Anything I've read on them says the males have the barred feather pattern but I just want to be sure. No signs of crowing or anything like that yet. And she has rounded feathers like the other one.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Pictures would help--but I wouldnt worry about it just yet. Hens can have rooey feathering, but rarely do you see a roo with henny featherng, ESPECIALLY with a sex-link.

3. molly d

molly d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    I'm no expert, but my black sex link pullet has a pretty good-sized comb. It's not gigantic, but it's a lot bigger than the combs on my red sex link and buff orp girls.

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Quote:This is the case with her and our BO and RIR girls. But what concerns me is that her comb is so much larger than the other black sex linked chick. I guess time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by