Any bladesmites here?

roosterhavoc

Enabler
Jan 5, 2012
They all look great! On the knife with the stacked leather handle did you thread the tang? I’m curious because I wanted to try it instead of the traditional hidden tang or peened over with a cap.

Akrnaf2

The educated Rhino
Jul 5, 2014
Center of Israel
that raindrop damascus is gorgeous. I don't have room for a forge or I'd be heating/beating/repeating too. :) Nice work!
I too don't have the space for a big forge, or a big automatic hammer or even a big anvil. I can't, (even that I want to do it very much!) to forge my owen steel, I buy online unhardend Damascus or 1095 steel billets or use some 5160 spring steel or some Chrome Vanadium spring steel. I design the knife and cut the steel, heat treat it, (I have a very small forge for that) sharpen it and do the handle and the leather working. For the handels I use horn,antlers, a big variety of wood (Oak, olive, African walnut Purplehurt,Ebony,Mhagony, Maskit, Indian Seasam, Beechwood, Pecan, Apple ect, ) brass, and I make my owen Micarta.
I love very much the leather working too, but this topic is for a new post! :lol:
I wish I could forge my owen steel....

Last edited:

Akrnaf2

The educated Rhino
Jul 5, 2014
Center of Israel
They all look great! On the knife with the stacked leather handle did you thread the tang? I’m curious because I wanted to try it instead of the traditional hidden tang or peened over with a cap.
Yes I have threaded the tang with a die cut , and used a left over Damascus steel as a cap, after I threaded it with a tape.
See this video, especially from 9:55
He use some mailed steel as an extension for the tang, I think that I can use a threaded rod instead of this smooth steel.

Last edited:

Top Bottom