Any blue barred birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WallTenters, Feb 24, 2011.

1. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    My friend loves everything blue... would a Dom/Blue Orp or Blue Americauna cross really make a blue barred bird - I've only seen a couple of photos but they look nice, no photos of up close/not blurry hens - does anyone else have any photos of blue barred birds? I was thinking they might make cute mutt egg layers or easter eggers. What would the chicks of two blue barred parents turn out to be? Blue/Black/Splash, barred? What on earth would a splash barred bird look like?!

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    No pictures, but taking a splash bird to a barred bird should give you 100% blue chicks. If the rooster was the barred parent they would all be blue barred. If the hen were the barred parent you would get blue sex links with the pullets being solid blue and the cockerels being blue barred. On my dream farm where I can have all the chickens I want, I'd like to do a splash or splash wheaten marans rooster over cuckoo marans hens for blue sex linked marans.

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    We have some interesting EE chicks. I was told they were gonna be blue cuckoo. The pictures do not show it well, but they look like they have some barring on their feathers. I am clueless about genetics in chickens.

Here are some pictures of my blue EE chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hi! Here are some pics.
    Blue Barred Green-Egger:
    [​IMG]
    Another Blue Barred Green-Egger (blue barred hen on right):
    [​IMG]

splash Cuckoo chick:
    [​IMG]
    Except for just a few feathers, you couldn't tell he is Cuckoo. He mostly looks like a regular splash.
    [​IMG]

I'm still looking for pics of that chick as an adult --- he was fabulous!

Also got Barred and Blue Barred Plymouth Rocks, pretty birds.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Blue Barred Plymouth Rocks are so pretty!
    I love the color blue

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

7. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Hmmm I wonder if she might be interested in adding a blue barred orpington project to her blue orps..... I think the coloring is beautiful. Does anyone know if it breeds true?

8. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Here's my blue barred bantam cochin rooster when he was a youngster - will be incorporating him into my silkied bantam cochin project soon:

[​IMG]

9. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    One of the blue barred chicks I had hatch back in December;
    [​IMG]
    I would consider this bird to be blue barred splash, but then, I thought this one was a splash blue crele, so what do I know? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blue barred Araucana chick

[​IMG]

Blue barred Araucana pullet

[​IMG]

Blue barred Araucana cockerel

[​IMG]

Blue barred Araucana hen

[​IMG]

I have Splash Barred Araucanas too, but both blue and splash need a lot of work as you can see. . . Their barring isn't very crisp at all, and though I only see myself working to a simple cuckoo, they need to get rid of their gold leakage and the male isn't entirely barred, there are a few feathers here and there without barring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by