Any body ever seen this color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LostGosling, Aug 6, 2011.

1. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    I got these as chicks from a breeder who said they were project birds. Has anybody else seen any of these being bred by others, or just seen them around in general?(I feel like I am obligated to breed these just in case I have the only ones ever, but I'm not really set up for it and don't have much funds)

[​IMG]

2. nurseamc

nurseamc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Cabarrus County, NC
    Very pretty birds! Unusual coloring indeed...but beautiful!

3. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    My hen looks just like them! My hen is a Belgium D'uccle Mille Fleur.
    What lovely birds. You are very fortunate to have them!

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Gorgeous!!

5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    D'uccle projects...Mille Fleur, Buff mottled...some type of mix. Don't feel obligated. If the breeder gave you some project birds, chances are they're ones s/he didn't feel were worth breeding on.

Pretty to look at though.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Eye Candy! very pretty!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Just enjoy the pretty ones you have. If you WANT to hatch out some colorful babies, feel free. But remember, hatching gives you roosters, and you have to have a plan in place to deal with them.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're Mille Fleur with splash. They will indeed breed true unless the hen there is actually a light blue, which means then they'll partially breed true. [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Just enjoy the pretty ones you have. If you WANT to hatch out some colorful babies, feel free. But remember, hatching gives you roosters, and you have to have a plan in place to deal with them.

Ditto. They look almost like Blue Mille Fleur. The roo doesn't have much of a tail (from what I see in the picture).
    I wouldn't breed them.

Enjoy those delightful personalities and enjoy them as eye candy in your yard!

10. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Quote:He doesn't have a tail because it got broken off when he was penned all the time. He molted a while ago and is starting to grow it back, but I still don't know if it's going to be as long as it should be [​IMG]

Quote:Yeah, that's what I thought. She gave me all 3 of the project chicks and there supposed father for $5, so she must not have thought too much of them. She had I think 8 adults of the projects, but she sold them all for I think $15 a piece to various, untraceable people. She said that she was just tired of that breed and wanted them gone.

Quote:I know ALL about the excess rooster placement, lol. That's one of the other many reasons why I haven't tried to turn them into a breeding project. [​IMG] I hatched a dozen mixed d'Uccle eggs a few months ago and only had 2 hens out of the whole bunch [​IMG]

Thanks everybody for your input! [​IMG] I'm just going to let them live out there lives as cute, spoiled little barnyard ornaments.......maybe, lol. I just web surfed again and still can't find any others like them, and they're so pretty! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by