Any body have a heated hose ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by muddyhorse, Dec 8, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I saw a heated hose in the valley vet catalog. does anybody have one ? Do you like it ? the heating element turn on when the hose gets cold and them turns off if warm. they are pricey but christmas is coming. I'm tired of dragging the hose in to the kitchen after each use.

2. gallinamama

gallinamama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    I googled it because I have never heard of a heated hose... it does however say it is not for drinking water... I wonder why if it also states it is used for farming and barns? They come in 100' lengths... I would need three!... my coop is at least 300 ft' from my house... and believe me carrying that water to the coop now is hard... I need a sled or better yet a golf cart..[​IMG] I do have a hose for summer use... but we turn it off because it will freeze. Shoot my hubby won't hardly do anything for me on the coop so I don't see him forking over a couple hundred for a heated water hose.! [​IMG] but a good idea.. maybe I will start saving for next year...little by little I am getting er done...

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    get one of these [​IMG] After carry water every winter for 25 years we finally put in a hydrant--DW's b'day gift to me--and it has made life so much easier. No more hoses [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We purposely built the coop near the well and a power source (and don't heat the coop.) If we'd moved here and the coop was far away, I'd have long since run plumbing to it. Maybe not power, but plumbing for sure.

5. MamacatPatch

MamacatPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    We use the bottom floor of our old farm house for the hen house now and our house is right behind that old house so it's not so hard to take care of the hens. BUT the geese, ducks, goats and roosters are a lot farther from the front door and carrying hot water to THEM is a REAL hassle!!!

Hubby is talking about putting another outdoor faucet in nearer to them, but I'm not holding my breath ... takes months, sometimes years, of nagging to get him to DO anything ... but I digress. If I could have a really long hose that didn't freeze I'd be such a HAPPY CAMPER!!!!

Marci

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Where do you get one of those hydrants woodmort?

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I just had a local plumbing contractor put it in. He start about 10 in the morning and finished about 3--would have done it faster but had to repair an electric and septic line. Basically they bring in a excavator, dig a trench below the lowest frost line and hook it to the house plumbing. The on/off valve is below the frost line and when you close the hydrant the water in the pipe drains off so there is nothing between the spigot and valve to freeze--as an added precaution there is a heat tape that can be used but the guy who did it says he's never had to hook one up. I'm kicking myself for not having done it long ago.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Our best investmnet was running water lines to the coop, horses, garden etc. Wish we would have done it sooner!! [​IMG]

9. MamacatPatch

Jul 10, 2007
    Quote:I just had a local plumbing contractor put it in. He start about 10 in the morning and finished about 3--would have done it faster but had to repair an electric and septic line. Basically they bring in a excavator, dig a trench below the lowest frost line and hook it to the house plumbing. The on/off valve is below the frost line and when you close the hydrant the water in the pipe drains off so there is nothing between the spigot and valve to freeze--as an added precaution there is a heat tape that can be used but the guy who did it says he's never had to hook one up. I'm kicking myself for not having done it long ago.

Wow sounds great. Is it costly?

10. MamacatPatch

Jul 10, 2007
    Quote:Sounds wonderful but it also sounds like a LOT of work. I'm lucky to get my DH to burn the trash!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by