1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

any body have fantastic shipping results on hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by tebs78, Feb 6, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I am so bummed out. I got a great R-Com 20 incubator for xmas. I could barely wait to start hatching eggs. I am on my 4th load of eggs and on the first 3 only had 2 hatch out! I know its not the bator. They never even started to develop most of them. I don't know if its the weather, the post office, the supplier or what.

I can't afford to keep buying eggs every three weeks. I am getting so frustrated and bummed. I love chicks, ducks, geese, but just can't seem to hatch any out. I had such awesome results last year.

Any body buy some eggs and had them shipped this year and had fantastic results? Any body sure thier eggs are super fertile and package them extremetly well? ANy body want to try some of thier eggs low charge? I am not picky at what I hatch. I live on a ranch and love poultry.

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Are you letting the eggs rest after shipping before putting them in the bator? Sorry I don't have any other ideas, I'm getting ready to incubate my first lot of shipped eggs next month.

3. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Do you have any of your own eggs you could try or maybe someone local you get some eggs from and try. Did you let them sit for a while with the big end up before you set them. I got shipped eggs for the first time and let them sit for 20 hours before i set them last friday. I candled a few and saw life. On friday night they will be 7 days and then i can see how mine are doing. The mail does take a toll on them mine were packed very well and i still had a few cracked ones and one even looks scrambled but im leaving it in the bator to see what happens. Best of luck.

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    bantymomma- Did you put the one in that had a crack? Only 1 of my eggs looked ....well it had lines running all over it...the box had a dent on that side...all the others were perfect.
    Curious to know if I should try to put the one with lines in the incubator?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I had 2 batched of shipped eggs last batch. One was a flop, got 1 chick, and one was fantastic, got 10 chicks. It really depends on how they are treated at the post office I think. I know the flop batch was from good eggs, and great packing. The second that hatched great was from a questionable flock, and poor packing. 3 were cracked. So you just never know.

If I were you, I'd try some local ones and see how they go.

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    So far I've had 2 batches of eggs shipped in weather that was high 20's during the day and teens at night. One package took 2 days and the other took 3 days before delivered. I did pick both of them up at the post office. None were broke and I had a 50% hatch rate. One package was from speckledhen (awesome egg bundling) and the other was from a breeder in Ill. Sorry you rates haven't been good - order from someone on byc and I'm sure your rates will be good - unless your p.o. is being extra hard on your packages. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  7. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Yes i did. The one was likes spider cracked. it does not seem to be cracked all the way through and felt smooth and is not seeping. I will have a picture up in a few minutes. Im going to leave it in the bator and see what happens.

8. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Hi, I seem to only get about 50% hatch rate, even when everything seems fine. My first time I did terrible, but improved on the second hatch with no improvement this time. I even tried different things like leaving vents open for air and propping eggs big end up on pipe cleaners. I am thrilled with my babies but would like a better rate... it does get expensive. But look where I found this thread...looking to buy again!!!

9. Bantymama

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Today is the start of day six. I can not tell if is growing yet but like i said im going to leave it and see what happens. I will let you know.

[​IMG]

10. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thank you. Were the lines visible on the outside? No 'cracks', but lines...dark? I will take a pic of the egg when I place them in the incubator...
    Thanks again....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by