any body know whats laying this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by [email protected], Jan 22, 2012.

1. red star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. black star

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. rode island red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. gold laced wandolt

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I've been getting a whitish egg it is really big, almost doesn't fit in the egg carton, i thought all my chickens laid brown eggs the one on the left is the egg, the one on the right is what the other brown ones look like. hear are the hens i have 3 green egg layers, red star, black star, 2 rode island red (i think not sure their red and I've seen them lay brown eggs) and a gold laced wandolt (all about 5 years old). I thought all those were supposed to lay brown eggs... any one know which one might have layed this?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Could be any of them, but I would guess the RIR or the Wyandotte. It is a brown egg, just on the lighter tan side which many brown egg layers lay.

3. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Are your "green" egg layers Easter Eggers? I have an Easter Egger who lays very lighttan, whitish eggs--it happens. there have been several other posts lately from people who were disappointed that their blue/green egg layer turned out to lay white or brown eggs.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Either you have an Easter Egger who actually lays pale eggs, not green eggs - Or you have a Sex-link laying typically jumbo and thus lighter colored eggs.

5. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Our silver laced Wyandottes and Barred rocks all lay "brown" eggs. We've seen anything from a very light desert sand, almost an off white to deep chocholate brown to eggs with a greenish or pinkish cast to speckled eggs. They seem to randomly cover the whole spectrum of "brown." The abnormal size eggs, either large or small seem to have the most color variation and differences in diet will change color hues if they get some real interesting scraps.

6. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    the green ones are the Easter egg ones i think, but iv seen them lay small green eggs (the smallest of all the eggs I've gotten and they account for about half of the eggs we get) i don't think i ever noticed these before (maybe the hen was eating the eggs), they are more White than brown I've been getting them pretty steady for the last couple of months. I'm pretty sure its not one of are red chickens because i seen one lay a small brown one 2 weeks ago. the only reason i am very curious about this is the size of the egg and i have a couple forming in the incubator and am wondering what the breed will be.

7. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I kind of like the very pale green-egg-layer egg theory. It is a rather "cool" shade of white.....

8. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    So one of these eggs hatched and it is completely black, so I'm thinking it is a black star that has been laying them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by