Any breed experts out there??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newpoultryppl, Nov 9, 2014.

1. newpoultryppl

newpoultryppl New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    The wife and I are fairly new and seek to add a few more hens to our flock. We need a few larger hens, but cannot find a good site to help us learn how big certain breeds get. My wife is in love with her rooster, a silver laced Wyandotte, which is much larger than the bantam chickens and she will never give him away. This Wyandotte needs some "larger" girlfriends and we need a way to learn the sizes of different breeds.
    Thank you in adavance for any links or websites you can recommend.

2. WildWyandott110

WildWyandott110 Chillin' With My Peeps

there are 2 kinds of chicken sizes, Bantam and Normal, are you talking about a bantam silver laced?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Any large fowl bird will be able to mate with your Wyandotte rooster. If you're concerned, stick with dual purpose birds. Mediterranean and some ornamental birds are smaller. Any of the dual purpose birds--Rock, Reds, Wyandottes, Sussex, Orpingtons, etc are going to be fine with your rooster once they're mature.

I like Murray McMurray's site. It has size at maturity, along with other info on each of the breeds they offer. Do keep in mind, though, that hatchery stock often runs a little lighter than heritage stock.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on donrae.

5. newpoultryppl

newpoultryppl New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Thank you for the information.
    Donrae-- the McMurray site is wonderful and exactly what I needed, regarding learning the breeds, sizes, etc.
    WildWyandott110--no, our silver lace isn't a bantam he's huge!! We inherited these birds from someone and now that they are growing, we see that our hens are Bantam and our Roo is a monster. We have seperate the flock, bantams with a proper roo and now our Wyandotte is sad and lonely. Since my wife insists that we keep him I needed to know what type of hens would matchup to him physically. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what research I've done & help from this site, it seems that any standard size hens will be ok.
    I cannot thank you both enough, we are truly learning as we go.
    Thanks again!!!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're quite welcome. We're not, you know, enablers or anything [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by