1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any breed of rooster that is more docile than others?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggcited2, Apr 25, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I had to find a new home for my Welsummer rooster and I miss him so darn much. But he was challenging me too much. He was running at me and would "hit" my leg more and more. We have been going around and around for over a month and I just can't chance getting hurt.

Is there any breed of chicken that has a quiet docile rooster?

Also, would it help to hold, hold and hold it? I didn't hold Roo much (nor any of my chickens) and don't know if that made a difference in his temperament.

2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    We had a roo, Fluffy, that was my daughters baby! She carried him everywhere from tiny on and he was very friendly for a long time and then after a yr. he just got mean as fire! He pecked her in the eyeball and drew blood on my feet/legs several times and would attack the dog and everything. We had to get rid of him. We also just got rid of our other roo that was supposed to have been a hen from last years bunch. He was sweet up until this past month he turned mean and again he was coddled a lot! So that probably doesn't mean much, but both of mine were bantams and I've been told that bantam roo's are quite aggressive.

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My LF cochin roo is a sweetheart:) He is my favorite bird hands down

4. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    i would try a cochin bantam. There beautiful and there like soft basketballs. once in awhile youll get a mean one but there usually really docile:) and i didnt hold my cochin rooster that much but hes a sweetie

5. jynnjynn

jynnjynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2010
    I have never had one, but Ive heard faveroles are supposed to be on the docile side.

6. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:Fluffy was a cochin bantam..... super handsome, but MEAN!!! I would try a full size? We've not had a single bantam roo that was nice yet!

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Fluffy was a cochin bantam..... super handsome, but MEAN!!! I would try a full size? We've not had a single bantam roo that was nice yet!

I have to agree with the LF I also have never had a nicae bantam roo, or game bird roo.

8. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Check out hendersons chicken chart and look for docile breeds. Each roo is still an individual but you at least have a starting point. Nankin bantams are known for being very personable. Ours is quite tolerant of us handling him etc. Remember they are doing their job protecting their hens. If they perceive you as competition or a threat to the pecking order they will attack no matter how much you hold them. Another option is to keep them in a separate pen from the hens if you have space to. That will take alot of the fight out of them.

9. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    I would try to find an adult rooster off of craigslist, and disregard breed. Every chicken is an individual, and I don't think handling, not handling, breed, or any other factor will guarantee you a docile roo. People are always trying to get rid of roosters, usually just because they have too many. I got both my boys from breeders who were looking to switch out their roos with younger stock, one was 2 yrs old, the other is 3, and both are very respectful, and I knew that before I got them.

10. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I had the sweetest, most friendly roo and he was a bantam. He was the first one to eat out of my hand and the only one to let me hold him with only minor fussing (most of the others take a bit more work to get a hold of). He was friendly with the ladies and almost seemed to not be a leader of the flock. But he was a barnyard mix and could never tell what he was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by