any breeder selling small quantities?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by lisamarie, May 27, 2008.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    hi all,
    is anyone familiar w/ breeders other than my pet chicken selling small quantities of chicks?
    thanks,
    lisa

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I ordered a small amount from Meyers Hatchery and was very happy with them.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think you'll find most breeders will only sell started chicks in smaller quantities, however they need to be shipped Express, which is more costly. Selling day old chicks in small quantities is just too risky for shipment. We use a minimum of 15 for our day old chicks and have found it works successfully, however much less and they too cold in shipping due to lack of body heat.

Jody

4. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:I can ship in small quantities. PM me and tell me what you are looking for. Overnight Express shipping for a small quantity is running about $38.00. I don't trust anything slower, especially with day olds.

5. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    I can ship in small quantities. PM me and tell me what you are looking for. Overnight Express shipping for a small quantity is running about $38.00. I don't trust anything slower, especially with day olds.

Just wondering what breeds you have, can you post pics??

Thanks
    Theresa​

6. skennedy

skennedy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Denham Springs, LA
    Quote:Just wondering what breeds you have, can you post pics??

Thanks
    Theresa

I have Rhode Island Reds, Black Sex Link, Silver Spangles and Gold Penciled Hamburgs, and Silver Grey Dorkings. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures taken so I can post them in the future.

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    ideal also does small orders. you can have your order packed with males for warmth or pay a surcharge to have them shipped alone, i got 8 silkie bantams from them, they arrived healthy and hearty, now two weeks old and doing beautifully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by