Any breeders out there?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hoosiersphynx, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hoosiersphynx

hoosiersphynx Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I was just wanting to know if I was the only Breeder here? I am a Sphynx breeder. If you are a breeder I would love to know what you breed and also see some pictures!
    Rebecca
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh that is the cutest thing. Sorry I'm not a breeder but now I want one [​IMG]

3. hoosiersphynx

hoosiersphynx Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Yes they are so cute! In that picture they were about 3 weeks old. They are 6 weeks old now. I just love being a breeder! My son has asthma so we had to get rid of our cat with hair. So this is what we ended up with. If you would like to see some more pictures you can do so on my website!
    http://hoosiersphynx.20m.com/

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I used to breed hairless rats! I love these kitties, maybe I'll look you up and buy one someday!

5. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I breed chihuahuas for pet and show homes. besides my husband and son, it's my life! I love planning my breedings, delivering the gorgeous babies, and watching what they grow to be! Here are some puppy pics, if you want a serious dose of cuteness, go to my website and look under the puppy breath page; www.freewebs.com/hfpamperedpups
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The last one is of Rocky, my little stud boy. He is about 5 months in the first one, and the last on is of last summer, but I love that first picture because it shows off his beautiful conformation. Perfect apple head, great topline, he's just a really great little boy! He had parvo as a pup, and we were able to save him. Now he produces gorgeous puppies, even though after all he went through he is now terrified of the show ring!

Oh, and Taraann, my name is Taryn too, just spelt different! Not every day you come across another one!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I breed Golden Retrievers! Right now they are almost 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:I own a sphinx and I love them they are so nice and cuddly and so funny to watch. I want to get him a freind but we have a dsh that hates other cats but maybe when she dies I will buy him a hairless friend.

8. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:I actually just combined my first and Middle name as my screen name, its actually just Tara. What beautiful pics of your puppies! I didn't know that Chihuahuas came in blue merle! I have bullmastiff, 2 females and a male. I had one litter and it went horrible! I won't be breeding again the heartbreak isn't for me. I had 9 in the litter and had to put 5 to sleep at 3 days old [​IMG]

9. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Trust me, I know all about the heartache. You think breeding is just all fluffy cute puppies, but it is so much more! Chi's have really small litters, average is just 1-3. I have lost a puppy in all but one of my litters. My most recent litter I lost a tiny male. He is the one the is laying in the palm of my hand. He was only 6oz at 6 weeks and had had quite a few bouts of hypoglycemia, and to top everything else off he developed hydrocephalus and had to be put down at 6 weeks. It's always harder when they are older. I had another 6 week old have an attack of some kind. We rushed her to the emergency vet, and they were able to bring her back, but she then passed on a few minutes later. In the last c-section I had one of the puppies didn't come out in very good shape, and I found him dead in the whelping box 2 days later. If they don't make it, it's always easier to let them go before you have a bond formed with them.

On the other hand, you get to witness miracles. Also in my last litter I had a little male pup that had fading puppy syndome. I stayed up for a week straight bottle feeding him. Once i finally got some weight on him, he develped a horrible eye infection, and his entire eye socket swelled under his still shut eyelid. Somehow this amazing pup came through everything and turned out to be one of the sweetest puppies I have ever seen. He just went to his new home last weekend.

Alot of people just get into breeding looking to make a quick buck off their two pet dogs. They figure dogs are animals, and can handle the breeding, pregnancy, whelping, and rearing all on their own. I am very against this type of breeding. If done correctly you will lose thousands of dollars on every litter. And it can be one of the most heartbreaking things you will ever do. But if you are truely breeding for the betterment of the breed, and love your breed it will all be worth it. There is nothing like seeing one of your puppies earn their championship and knowing that you really made a difference!

Oh, and yes, chihuahuas do come in merle! Alot of people don't know that chis can come in any color. It actually states in the standard "any color marked or splashed". Alot of people just think they come in shades of brown, not so! And if anyone ever has any dog/ breeding related questions I will be happy to answer and help to the best of my abilities!

10. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I breed rabbits, if that counts! Tans, and I just recently branched out into Rhinelanders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by