Any BYCers have to use a CPAP machine?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, May 6, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SO has been on a CPAP machine for about a month now and it really seems to be helping. Two problems he (we) are having with it.
    First, his machine is the kind with a warm air humidifier. The tubing from the machine to his mask tends to get water in it during the night which wakes us both up because it gurgles. We are not overfilling the water reservoir.
    Second, the forehead pads on it are uncomfortable to him. I'm thinking of trying to make little soft pads out of material to cover the rubber?
    We're going to ask his nurse about these things, but wonder if anyone has found their own solution.

For those of you that don't know, CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. It's a machine to treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

2. stayathomedad

stayathomedad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2008
    I've been using one for about 10 years now. For the pads being uncomfortable, try adjusting the straps a little bit loosely. Sometimes that helps. I have found that with certain masks, nothing seemed to help. They were just downright uncomfortable. As far as the gurgling problem, I'm not sure what that would be. I would definitely talk to the nurse. You may be able to get a different mask if it doesn't work out. I use to try a different model every time I got a new one, but now that I found one that is very comfortable, I won't try anything else.

3. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

My wife uses a CPAP. Her machine is a Remstar by Respironics. It also has the heated humidifier. Wife has had 2 different machines over the years and have never had any problem with water it the hose. Also there are several different masks. One that wife likes is called Comfort Gel and is made by the same company. If DH's mask is causing problems I would wonder if it has been fitted correctly and is the right size for him. When you get the machine set right and mask fitted you will both love that little machine. Hm because he will get good sleep and not be tired and you because you won't be worry about him stopping breathing or (dare I say) snoring.
    Good luck Rob

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The water that accumulates in the hosing really doesn't amount to more than a tablespoon or so, but accumulate it does and then when the air moves thru the hose it makes a racket.
    Wondering if the fact that it has been so humid here lately has anything to do with it?

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I LOVE my hubbies CPAP. I can now actually sleep at night and he's sleeping too.

His gurgles also at times. I don't know why... I'll ask him tonight and see if he knows.

When his mask was uncomfortable he went back to the place he got it and had them readjust/refit it. That made it much more comfortable.

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    my husbands machine made the same noises- we were told it has to do with too much humidity in the room, not the machine. i had a warm mist humidifier in the room for me, and when we removed it his machine started working as normal.he also gets a new mask every 3 months because his will wearout and the seal will break. this makes me feel like i sleep with darth vader....... so as long as the machine is working fine i sleep a lot better too.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks. I was thinking it might be the humidity. Either that or he slobbers alot in his sleep and it rolls down the tubing. (I didn't type that).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by