Any Campbell breeders?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Epona142, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Hi there
    I have one female Khaki campbell. Are there different types of campbell? Are they compatible with each other? How old are they when they begin laying.

And to the breeders: hubby is getting me an incubator for christmas and I really want to have more campbells. Do any of you sell eggs? What is the average price and will you have any after christmas?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    there is only one true khaki campbell. i am sure there is a "pecking order kind of thing" with ducks like there is chickens.

i want to breed more we just got into ducks this past spring. mine just started laying. they lay about age 5-7 months old. if you are still looking for some eggs i can see about getting some to you to see if you can hatch them out or not.

wendy

3. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Ah I see [​IMG]

Mine is still too young to lay, I'll have to look it up to see how old she is. But I would love to try to hatch some of your eggs! Maybe I can convince hubby to buy me that incubator early haha . . .
    How much would you charge for the eggs when I get my incubator?

4. There are also Dark Campbells and White Campbells. I also saw some Apricot Campbells on a website a breeder has, they were gorgeous, but they were not selling any.

My Khaki Campbell started laying in late September, she was born in April. She has laid an egg every day except on the seventh after she started, and two days after she got sick last week. But she's up and laying again now.

I'm sure all Campbells get along with each other just as well as any other ducks. If you mean breeding compatibility, they are because these different colors are just various "strains" of the same breed.

I am interested in finding some Dark Campbell hens, or ducklings, preferably sexed. Or possibly Dark Campbell eggs if they can be hatched relatively easily without an incubator.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have some neighbors named Campbell.

They have a lot of kids.

Zat count?

6. Epona142

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Thanks Dances with Ducks, I did mean compatible in a breeding sense. [​IMG]

I'll have to look up those other colors, sounds interesting. I'm hoping in the spring I can see about getting some campbell eggs.

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:I did not know this. We have some catalogs from some hatcheries and they only list Khaki Campbells. Then on a website, I forget which one. I saw only the same Khaki Campbells.
    That is interesting. I love there behavior and will have to check this out after learning this. That is interesting [​IMG]

Wendy

8. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. These other strains of Campbells seem to be really rare. I read about the Dark Campbells and White Campbells in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. I checked lot's and lot's of hatcherys and only found a couple small outfits with Dark Campbells. Never saw any White Campbells except on a website that was somewhere in the UK, like Australia if I am remembering correctly. So when you consider all that I guess it's not so easy to even get a chance to interbreed them.

10. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    So how do these strains actually look like, is it true there is actually a blue one too?
    Pictures would be great if anyone has any, or has seen the pics on the web. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by