Any candy makers out there?

tabsmonsters

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Laclede County, MO
I finally broke out my candy mold and made some cinnamon hard candy today. I bought the mold a year ago and this was my first try at making it. I was very pleased for the most part. I was thinking of making candy gifts for Christmas this year and have been searching the net for molds, oils and such. I thought I would come on here and see if anyone else does this and could lead me to a website that they use for supplies and great prices. If you have any pics of stuff that you have made, that would be awesome!
Thanks!
Tabby

It's been a number of years but I made lollipops before. But there I just took hard candy and smashed them, set them in ? was it foil cups or something?, stuck in a stick, cooked it...the crumbles melted and swirled together...very pretty and fun.

me,
g

Quote:
I found it online, not sure where but here it is:

Makes about 3 cups of candy syrup

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
food coloring
1 tsp (1 dram) candy flavoring
powdered sugar

In large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. WIthout stirring, let the mixture come to a boil.

Using a candy thermometer, when the syrup reaches 260 F, add the food coloring. Start with a drop or two and adjust as desired. Do not stir; boiling action will mix in the color.

When the syrup reaches 300 F, remove it from the heat. When the boiling stops, stir in the flavoring. Quickly pour the syrup into lightly oiled molds or on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and let harden.

To prevent candy from sticking, dust finished pieces with powdered sugar.

My observations:

I had to add a lot of color to get the dark red I was looking for. I didnt stir the color in, but I kinda swirled the pan around to help it mix. I also only added 1/2 tsp of flavoring and its ok, but next time I will add the full tsp for a little more of a kick.

Not sure if this makes a difference but definitely wait until the mix stops boiling to add the flavor. I forgot that step and burned several nose hairs from the cinnamon ( the scent is VERY strong).

I didnt have parchment paper so I used wax paper instead and what a mistake. When the candy cooled, it wouldnt come apart from the paper completely so there is a thin layer of paper on some of my pieces. The ones in the mold (sprayed with cooking spray) came out beautifully.

I put the powdered sugar in a bowl then added the cooled candy, then jiggled it around in a colander to knock off the excess sugar.

I wrote these observations assuming you have never made this before ( like me) and its just things I would do different next time. Hope it saves you a little grief!

Tabby

Oh, thanks for the replies! I did find a good site for all things cakes, cookies and candy it seems.
www.cakeartpartystore.com. The prices seem reasonable but the shipping seems kinda high. I will have to see what I can find local before I resort to paying for shipping.
Thanks!

Quote:
I found it online, not sure where but here it is:

Makes about 3 cups of candy syrup

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
food coloring
1 tsp (1 dram) candy flavoring
powdered sugar

In large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. WIthout stirring, let the mixture come to a boil.

Using a candy thermometer, when the syrup reaches 260 F, add the food coloring. Start with a drop or two and adjust as desired. Do not stir; boiling action will mix in the color.

When the syrup reaches 300 F, remove it from the heat. When the boiling stops, stir in the flavoring. Quickly pour the syrup into lightly oiled molds or on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and let harden.

To prevent candy from sticking, dust finished pieces with powdered sugar.

My observations:

I had to add a lot of color to get the dark red I was looking for. I didnt stir the color in, but I kinda swirled the pan around to help it mix. I also only added 1/2 tsp of flavoring and its ok, but next time I will add the full tsp for a little more of a kick.

Not sure if this makes a difference but definitely wait until the mix stops boiling to add the flavor. I forgot that step and burned several nose hairs from the cinnamon ( the scent is VERY strong).

I didnt have parchment paper so I used wax paper instead and what a mistake. When the candy cooled, it wouldnt come apart from the paper completely so there is a thin layer of paper on some of my pieces. The ones in the mold (sprayed with cooking spray) came out beautifully.

I put the powdered sugar in a bowl then added the cooled candy, then jiggled it around in a colander to knock off the excess sugar.

I wrote these observations assuming you have never made this before ( like me) and its just things I would do different next time. Hope it saves you a little grief!

Tabby

Oh, thanks for the replies! I did find a good site for all things cakes, cookies and candy it seems.
www.cakeartpartystore.com. The prices seem reasonable but the shipping seems kinda high. I will have to see what I can find local before I resort to paying for shipping.
Thanks!

Thank you. Im going to write this down and try it. It sounds good.

I used to make all kinds of candy at Christmas....chocholate covered cherries, divinity, fudge, peanut brittle, almond toffee, truffles, pecan turtles, caramels, peanut butter cups, pralines.....I don't do so much anymore. Some kinds of candy require cool, dry air which is seldom had in Central Texas. Here are a few of the things I learned.

When making fudge, line the pan with waxed paper or parchment
Have a good candy thermometer
weather makes a difference
all recipes are not created equal, if you find one you like keep using it
fudge is hard to get right
good quality chocholate keeps its temper better, making dipping easier to manage
hard candies are more forgiving than soft (get the heat wrong on soft and you're done for)
Keep your nuts refrigerated, throwing out a batch of fudge because the nuts have gone off is heart breaking
hot sugar syrup is mean and nasty, so make sure you are alone in the kitchen
speciality shops have better flavorings
EVERYONE LOVES HOMEMADE CANDY

Back
Top Bottom