any cat breeders/experts? color question

watchdogps

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Central Ohio
One of the kittens born to our barn cat appeared black when born, but now at almost eight weeks old, is retaining the phantom striping. I know many black cats are striped at birth, but his brother is clearly black, whearas he has grey shadow stripes. Is this a black smoke?
I am trying to get a pic on, but can't seem to get it from my phone to here...

Quote:
You mean like Tabby strips?

Yeah, same markings, but he's black with silvery grey shadowy stripes. He is not a regular tabby. I'm very very familiar with cats, amd this is unusual.

Quote:
Oh heavens no! When we moved into our house, she came running out of the field behind us, ready to burst! She was way beyond the point I feel comfortable spaying, and she had her kittens two days later. Mom and babies are confined and already have their appts at the clinic to be fixed! After that, any that find homes can go, and any that don't can stay. We have room. But no more babies!

Probably just black. I had a black kitten who had faint stripes until about 5 months, then her nice glossy black color came in. I think smoke would be if you brushed the hair back, and the undercoat was all gray.

I do know that with some breeds, even those faint lines are concidered Tabby. I had one once and that was concidered that color. Geez what breed? I used to show, but no a cat person for a while now. If I don't stay up on things I tend to erase from my memory banks.

I've got a black cat with the light silver/gray markings underneath, too. She's a doll. When she sheds it looks like she's going bald
smile.png

Black Smoke is when their undercoat is gray/silver and the ends of the hair shaft is black. I had a Black Smoke Persian years ago.
I don't know what this color would be called.

Quote:
I found some pics of black smoke cats, and I'm pretty sure that is indeed what he is. Def not just black. Very unique looking.
I wish I could post a pic, but I can't figure out how to cut and paste the link with my phone.

Back
Top Bottom