any cattle people out there!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by roocrazy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    talk about rare breeds, your breeds, your cattle, share thoughts and pictures!!!!

right now, i am showing a shorthornXangus heifer. she is red roan(her name is patsy)

my favorite breed is: shorthorn for the most part but i loove the possibilities you can get with cross breeds!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  2. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    We are over on backyardherds. Just look next to the Other Pets & Livestock on the main page and there is the link.

3. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    I have a red holstien steer, his name is Taylor and he its the biggest baby ever! We live in TN and someone we know buys and sells horses and stuff, we went to the barn and he had some holstien calves, but there was only one red one. We decided to buy him. He was in very bad shape, very thin and was standing in muck. A few days later after we got him home and settled in we took his ear tags out, I looked them up on the internet and he came from New York! I was amazed! He had lots of problems with hairloss and scaley skin at first, but we gave him some antibiotics and he is now doing great! He doesn't even look like the same cow! I can even lay beside of him in the ground, he is my baby!

4. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Just got a Dutch belted cow and 2 Belted Galloways. They are all due in the next few months. Added some color to my Angus herd. [​IMG]

5. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    I have a dun dexter 1 year old heifer, a 1 year old highland bull (freezer bound), a 1 week old zebu highland cross (for sale) and a 3 year old dehorned highland (also for sale). I love cows but they eat alot and I cant afford to feed the big ones anymore [​IMG] I bought $1500 in hay last year and cant do that again. I dont have enough grazing area unfortunately! Thats probably good because I would have a big herd!

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    we raise mostly black Angus and black brangus. We have a few Charolais/Angus crosses mostly because the charolais bull is so good with heifers.

We also raise quite a few holstein steers and guernsey/black angus bottle calves. Our neighbor has a dairy farm and my husband custom bales for him...he pays us in calves! Not too bad of a trade if you ask me. (I also trade him eggs for fresh milk [​IMG] )

We have 8 cows and about 20 calves right now. They intermingle with my parent's cows so I am not sure on the calf number right now. My husband could tell you more. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the chickens, ducks, turkeys, and rabbits!

here's a pic I took last winter

[​IMG]

7. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    nice charolais bull. i like the coloring of a smokey.

8. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    anyone else??
    here is my shorthorn plus heifer, Viktoras Patsy Cline
    [​IMG]

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    She is beautiful! [​IMG] I have a team of red and white Holstein working steers (oxen) will try to post pictures soon [​IMG]

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Our cow is a jersey, so nothing rare. Across the street there is a herd of dutch belted and a small herd of water buffalo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by