1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

any chance 10 day old frozen eggs? Update post 11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farrier!, Dec 8, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] substitute postal carrier.

Is there any chance for 10 day old frozen egg to hatch? Do I even bother finding room in the bator?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I wouldn't think so but I have heard some amazing stories around here so [​IMG]
    Nancy

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Well, you have them now, so there's no sense in not trying. You never know what life will prevail over!

4. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I am curious about this as well. How low were the temps? When eggs freeze solid, do they crack? Maybe they did not completely freeze...

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I read an article on line -- there was an experiment by the French in the early 20th c. They said that the eggs would not freeze to the point of damage unless they hold at 15 deg. F. They reported the best results by placing them directly into the incubator so that they warmed more quickly.

6. farrier!

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    They warmed up enough I put them into the incubator. None looked cracked but they were below freezing long enough they felt like ice cubes for hours and hours.
    I will let everyone know in 10 days.

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    My goose laid eggs outside and buried them a little so I didn't know. There were 5 of them and it was freezing outside. That means that some of them had to be at least 5-10 days old because she doesn't lay every day. I popped them in the incubator after letting them come to room temperature for about 5 hours.

3 of them are veining. Go for it!

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    As long as the eggs aren't cracked they should be fine. Obviously not all of them would be, but enough to bother with...

I was supposed to pick on you about your 'bow white quail', but it seems as if you've fixed it :lol

9. farrier!

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It looked fine to me... [​IMG]
    I hate to say how many times I had to look at it! So frustrating at times to be dyslexic [​IMG]...

10. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    well you know, my old boss filled out all the paperwork to be frozen when he dies and be brought back 50 yrs later...

why can't it work on embryos... in fact, don't they do that???? freeze embryos for later implant??

good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by