Any chance a brown leghorn can lay a brown egg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Justicedog, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I got 6 chicks in April 2012. Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Light Brahma, a Barred Rock, an Araucana, and a Brown Leghorn. These are my very first and only chickens.

The Brown Leghorn was the first to develop its comb and white ears, however, I've not seen a white egg.

She didn't squat until later - maybe October or November, but no white eggs. They're kept mainly in a coop, maybe every other week let out to roam the yard for a half a day.

Is there any way that a Brown Leghorn can lay brown eggs rather than white?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Unless it isn't a true bred Leghorn at all.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    that looks like a leghorn, could you keep her in a pen all day by herself to she if she lays?

4. Justicedog

May 2, 2012
    I think I'll do that in the spring/summer when it warms up.

It's funny that the only eggs I get are brown, my araucana has a crooked beak and hasn't started laying anything yet. I'm not sure she will.

5. Justicedog

May 2, 2012
    I got my first green egg today from my araucana. That was a shock. Just waiting on a white egg. I really think that the leghorn is just laying brown.

Can't wait for warmer weather to test it out though.

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Leghorns have HUGE RED combs, usually. It's not surprising that yours is so big and red, even if she's not laying yet.

I'm pretty sure it's one of your other chicks. Each of them, except your Araunaca, is going to lay a brown egg, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by