1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ANY chance McM's has Araucana?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goose and Fig, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Is this another one of those -"they're all EEs" if they come from a hatchery? A local woman is selling "true aracauna" that they hatched out fo birds they got from McMurray. I asked for pics, but haven't gotten any yet.

2. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Yes, McMurray advertises as "Araucanas/Americanas" but they are Easter Eggers. (They don't even have Ameraucana spelled correctly.)

The ones I have seen from McMurray are fairly nice EE's- IF you're just wanting EE"s. Definitely not "true" Araucanas though.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Aren't Araucanas rumpless? As in – don't have tails?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

McMurray has never had Araucanas, which are rumpless with ear tufts, not bearded and muffed like Ameraucanas and most EEs. No big hatchery has either Ameraucanas or Araucanas. Araucanas are relatively rare, moreso than even Ameraucanas, while EEs are very common.

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've ordered them every year and trust me they're Easter Eggers every single one. Luckily, they made me into a HUGE Easter Egger fan.

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Araucana can have tails you just can not show the tailed birds. Many Araucana breeders keep tailed birds in their flocks to improve fertility. Go to Araucana.net for a list of Araucana breeders or contact Jody (Hinkjc) she has Araucana.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I figured they'd be EEs, but I'm going to look at them anyway. I could always use a few more girls, and colored eggs are a bonus [​IMG] Seen as how I have 20 roos and counting.....[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Adam is correct, that some Araucanas can have tails, but they still do not have the same "look" as the Ameraucana. Let us know what you get from McMurray!

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I guess the lady has chicks that are offspring of McMurray's version of "aracaunas". She said the parents lay blue, teal, and olive eggs so....that's a dead giveaway! I'm going to trade 2 sussex for 2 EEs.

(That way I'm not actually buying any more chickens! [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by