Any chance my "teenage hen" would crow???!!!

Patch&Phoebe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 25, 2007
Kensington, CA
Help! We purchased 3 Buff Orpington sexed pullets born early May, and for a bit one has looked very different, w/ jowls and pronounced head crown, deep red already. Today this "ladie" started to crow - a deep "roo-roo-roooooo" and w/ a full on stance, like stepping into it, craning the neck, etc and also has been somewhat aggressive / bossy w/ the two other ladies. Any possibility I have 3 ladies and should wait this out? I think I have a rooster in the hen house! Help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9321858@N06/

this is the probable rooster - that is crowing
622855439_7bac72ef7e_m.jpg

this is the possible rooster
622855477_1ba2d8c893_m.jpg

please let this be a hen please!!
622855487_fda1fa4cc8_m.jpg

here are all three together
622855429_93ccddc80f_m.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you could post a pic which may be more helpful. But Yes, hens can crow too and I've seen it with my own eyes. They also can get spurs and take on many rooster characteristics, especially in the absence of a rooster.

Jody

Just looked at the picture. I'm no expert, but looks like a rooster to me. On the bright side you could have your own baby chicks next spring!

Actually no - we're suburban chicken farmers, and no roo's allowed in our town. We'll have to find him a nice home...

any advice on posting pics as pics fr Flickr? Got the url down, but can't get site to post images directly. I'll keep trying.

My little cute Zsa-Zsa hen is now Rocky the rooster!!! Luckily, I don't have to give him away.....I'm hoping he bugs the mean next door enough so he moves.... just wait until little Doodle learns to crow!
lau.gif

Ok, we're totally certain (duh) that my now constant crower is a roo. I've been advised to feel for spurs though / pre-spur bumps on all three, also a give away. Except I'm not certain where the spurs should be - can I get some guidance please? Thanks!!

Ok - the new problem - my son and I were just able to "feel" the back of all three of our birds legs, and they ALL HAVE what is like pointed growths - similar to my cat's nails - coming out above their rear claw. Are these the srurs? Did I get three roosters? I am going to throw up if that's the case.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom