Any chance of sexing these?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, Nov 11, 2010.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Our guys/gals (?) are 9.5 and 10.5 weeks old and we are sooooo impatient! Any ideas of the sex of the 10.5 weeks old yet. I think the Rouen is female cuz of the loud sounds, but it's not really a quack. The others are very quiet. I keep listening to those male and female mallard sounds on the net and dang, they all sound the same to me.....The Mallards are all supposed to be female, the Rouen was bought from someone and none of us have any idea of the sex. There was a smudge on the lens so sorry for some blurrs. Any guesses or still too early?

All four - Front and center Soap the 10.5 w/o Rouen, right center is Price the 10.5 week old Mallard, the other 2 are the younger mallards, Napoleon (Napoleanne?) closer in and Josephine in the back
    [​IMG]

Foreground - Older Mallard Price, middle is one of the younger ones (hard to tell them apart, but Napoleon is smaller and Josephine is shy) and the tail up in the background is Soap the Rouen
    [​IMG]

Big lug in the middle is Soap the Rouen
    [​IMG]

Soap again - always front and center
    [​IMG]

Yes Soap, we know you are gorgeous
    [​IMG]

Price - Our sweet older Mallard
    [​IMG]

Edited to add their names

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    For some reason part of my wants to say the mallards are drakes just the way the head looks and the heavy eyestripe, but thats just based on experiences with mine. Then the other part of me wants to say hen because of the orangish tinge to the bills, but again there more yellow than orange witch makes me think drakes, but AGAIN i have seen hens with those colored bills. Sorry for the confusion, my vote is 2 hens and one drake on the mallards

EDITED: Comparing them all in the first picture the one on the far right is a drake and the other 2 look to be hens. But i guess you'll know in time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    You could always learn to vent sex. [​IMG]

4. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Quote:....Runs for the hills.....No thanks. Ugh. I thought you could only do that when they are ducklings? Anyway....uh uh. I'm not THAT impatient.

Thanks for your vote....I don't have a clue! So you think the older mallard is a drake? That would be cool. We are kind of hoping one of them is a drake, but we were expecting it to be the Rouen. What did you think about the sex of the Rouen?

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I like guessing. on your first pic Im gonna say two boys in center and right front, two girls in the back. Let us know later on [​IMG] im guessing on the color of those bills.

6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I hope it's not 2 drakes and 2 hens....I understand that's not a good combination....[​IMG]

7. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Its fine ! [​IMG] thats what we started out with many years ago [​IMG]

8. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Really? I keep hearing about the drakes fighting over the females and the females getting over-used and beaten up. I would not like that to happen.

9. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    depends on how big your pen is and remember all ducks are different. Just watch em and time will tell,then still dont jump the gun because you are always going to have a pecking order where ones boss and on down the list. I had my first two pr in a 8x10 pen and yes one drake was boss but they worked it out

10. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I'm thinking that soap is a male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by