Any chance that this is a hen? or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by damawalker, Jun 28, 2011.

1. damawalker

damawalker New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

We are new to this chicken thing. Acquired 5 hens to produce eggs for the family and to give my kiddos some appreciation for where there food comes from. Got our first 5 at 2 months, supposedly all hens, turns out that three of them were roosters. They were replaced by the seller, and now I am feeling like this one may be a rooster as well, although we have noticed no crowing. Any input from all of you experienced chicken farmers would be appreciated! Thanks

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Roo

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm a chicken newbie as well, and have been reading up on how great roos can be for your flock. I'm pretty sure I have a roo as well, but as long as he continues to get along with the girls, I will most likely keep him. He's sure cute, anyway!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Roo. Comb, battles, pointy hackle feathers, nice saddle feathers. Boy without a doubt.

5. Moosnanny

Moosnanny New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm new at this hen/rooster thing too. My granddaughter picked 6 baby chicks, and so far we think 5 of the them are roosters. But after looking at some pics online. Now I'm even more confused.. We were told that the chicks were Banhams.. They are small.. Hope my bbf can help me this weekend. She has alot of chickens. Just wanted to say that you are not alone. Maybe we can learn together..

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Quote:Agreed!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, no question you have a rooster there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by